All iPads Me and my mom want to switch ipads, how would we do it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GKDAIR, Apr 19, 2013.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

My mom bought the mini a few months back and she barely uses it, and constantly says she should have gotten the bigger one.

I currently own an ipad 3, and would honestly love a mini.

I've got a lot of stuff on mine and she's got a lot of stuff on hers, I'm basically just looking to format both of them and wipe them clean, so when we switch it doesn't confuse itunes or anything.

We both have our own itunes accounts, I just don't want all of her stuff to be downloaded onto my computer and vise versa.

2. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

This should work out:

1. make backups in iTunes
    2. switch iPads
    3. set up one iPad from the backup of the other one in iTunes

3. RickyB macrumors regular

I'd agree with that. Do make sure they are set to backup on your computer, however, as they may be set up to back up via iCloud and just plugging them in to you computer wouldn't (in that case) be enough.

In the unlikely event of this not working, you can restore them back the way they were.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

yep, agree. backup and restore will work fine.

5. emuyshondt macrumors member

I switched SIM's between my iPad 1 and a new iPad 4 when I upgraded. As mentioned here, you can just back up one and restore the backup onto the new machine to get your apps back.

I had cellular iPads, I don't know what yours are. Everything worked for me, until I went to check my account to change the data plan. I got a message about needing an LTE SIM in the machine to be able to access that function. I called AT&T and they mailed me a new SIM. After putting it in my machine, I was able to access my account and also had LTE data speeds - I've clocked over 20 Mbps download with it! I think the mini may have an LTE modem too. Be sure to upgrade the SIM card if you have a cellular device.

There is no SIM involved if you only have a WiFi model.

6. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

why don't you just do a reset (delete all data) ? that way it is cleaner and easier and just synch the mini from your computer (your itunes) and the ipad3 to her computer (her itunes).

7. TedM macrumors 6502

I know its implied in these steps and this is the way to do it, but you are going to have to restore the ipads.

8. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

You give her your iPad 3, and she gives you her Mini. Swap DONE! :)

9. madgibbon macrumors member

If you don't want to use a computer use iCloud.

1. Make sure both devices have a recent iCloud back up.
    2. Wipe both devices.
    3. Swap devices.
    4. Sign in to new device and when prompted select restore from backup.
    5. Done.

The only problem with using iCloud is all apps will be downloaded again from the App Store (any data such as saved games will remain intact). This might be a problem if you have a slow internet connection and your iPad's contain a lot of apps.