Meanwhile, Vladimir sacks his chief of staff

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Aug 13, 2016.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

There are apparently further changes afoot. Maybe Donald Trump can snag a government job after all.

Russian reshuffle claims another big name: Putin's chief of staff

Looks like could be the same old, same old: "It's the economy, stupid."

2. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sometimes it's instructive to read a few different accounts of a newsworthy event. The Economist's take on this had a few pearls.

Putin plays a long game. He has always seemed to hold this guy Ivanov close on the seond part of “keep your friends close, enemies closer”.

Ivanov was in a more elite intelligence directorate, he speaks good English, he managed to stay professional but still get all friendly w/ Condoleeza Rice on the western circuit, all that he lacked was,,,, Putin’s trust? The guy bore watching.

Ergo Putin in his biography stating to three journalists that he trusts this guy Ivanov above all others.

Document the love, always a good move.

So, now for whatever reason Putin doesn’t trust Ivanov AT ALL... so, time for the gold watch beause to have something untoward happen to your very own chief of staff could be so awkward. Meanwhile a new chief of staff has been plucked from the ranks, this time someone who started out suitably beneath Putin and visibly ever after showing loyalty.

Excerpt from The Economist piece:

Although Mr Ivanov and Mr Putin have known each other and worked closely together for decades, their relationship is not without tensions. In the KGB during the 1970s and 80s, Mr Ivanov served in the elite first directorate for intelligence, while Mr Putin was in the less prestigious second directorate for counterintelligence. After Mr Putin took the reins of the successor organisation, the Federal Security Service, in 1998, he recruited Mr Ivanov to join him. A fluent English speaker, Mr Ivanov served as a go-between with the administration of George W. Bush, bonding with Condoleezza Rice, Mr Bush’s National Security Adviser and later Secretary of State, over a shared passion for ballet. Yet despite his ambitions—or, more likely, because of them—Mr Ivanov lost the contest to succeed Mr Putin as president in 2008 to Mr Medvedev, who loyally ceded the seat back to him in 2012.

Although Mr Ivanov claimed that he left of his own volition, most observers believe he was sacked; if so, it would be the most dramatic sign of growing tension within the Kremlin. The move is the most high-profile of a string of personnel changes inside the Russian elite in recent months. Several regional and security services heads were rotated out last month, many in favour of younger officials personally loyal to Mr Putin, including several former bodyguards. The new head of the presidential administration, Anton Vaino, also fits that profile. Just 44 years old, Mr Vaino, the grandson of a Soviet-era Estonian communist party leader, began his career in the foreign service. He joined Mr Putin’s presidential office in 2002, working his way up the ranks with little fanfare. Vedomosti, a Russian business daily, described the new chief of staff as “Putin’s own man.” Two decades on, Mr Putin is now starting to rely on new friends.

Putin's own man, eh? Two more journalists attesting to this and we're back to square one of the long game.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, a relatively unusual thread.

Anyway, I have been following this story with considerable interest.

4. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yah I sometimes feel like reviving every bland thread in PRSI that died with a few or no replies just to avoid seeing the 2016 election's stars featured in so many thread titles. Aren't we supposed to keep something back for the dash to the finish line in a few months? We'll all be in rehab.

Not least of Donald Trump's sins will have been indirect responsibility for the media having watched a bunch of moths to the flame, while more of them should have nose to ground following the money. Not Russian money. Money in the USA, going to this or that while no one's looking. This is how we wake up one day and discover someone took the back porch off the house.

Some right wing guy will blog sometime about how Obama diverted money from cancer research in an executive maneuver. Leaving out the fact that the House gridlocked on Vika vaccine because the right put in a poison pill amendment related to Planned Parenthood defunding, which left Mr. Obama to do the House's job of prioritizing funds and addressing Vika as the most urgent situation. Few will remember that the House did this and went home for the campaigns. They'll remember the blogger posting about how Obama cancelled cancer research or some such.

I hope I live to see this particular Republican majority sent packing. I resist the most delicious foods pretty faithfully on just that account.

Meanwhile on this bland thread's topic, I am always interested when heads of state start swapping out staffers at high levels in their administrations. Sure there can be ordinary reasons, like adjustments after an election. This one in Moscow seems different somehow.

What Putin needs is someone to suggest that all things considered, messing around w/ Ukraine could maybe come after finding a way to unburden Russia of those sanctions without losing too much face. Peasants with pitchforks don't put them down because you promote an underling to chief of staff and send an old and connected guy packing. The citizens continue to have serious economic issues and really how can most give a newt's tail about Ukraine.

Think of the guys in the army posted so far away to guard the Tajikistan border. Ukraine, what? How about some meat to go with the cabbage and potatoes. Putin promotes former bodyguards, good luck w/ that. He needs to promote some new economic proposals. Some theorize that's what his shuffling is about. I am not so sure. Maybe he senses some danger to himself. LOL that's what he gets for spending too much time with Turkey's Erdogan; paranoia is contagious and the two of them are already champions there. I hope common sense prevails and no one does anything stupid, there's been enough of that in the area this summer already.

You know far more than I about that neck of the woods. I imagine you like to keep up with this news too. Meanwhile in the press of Trump and Clinton, the US papers are preoccupied. They report the bare outlines but nothing of how other countries in the Caucasus react to these rumblings in Moscow.