Medal of Honor: You're the Taliban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Aug 25, 2010.

?

Play as the Taliban: poor taste or not?

1. Poor taste w/ Taliban option

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Poor taste, period

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. I'm fine with it

61 vote(s)
    84.7%
  1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

EA is receiving a lot of flack for the feature in the new version of the Medal of Honor game, where you can choose to be a Taliban fighter. What do you think: Poor taste or artistic expression? And if it is in poor taste, would it be in equally poor taste to have the same exact game but without being able to play as the Taliban?

link

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Overreaction. There was the same reaction to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 where you are undercover in a Russian terrorist cell in one mission and go around in Moscow International Airport shooting civilians. Guess EA wanted in on that action and made the whole game being a terrorist. :p

This overreaction is created because parents don't want their 8 year old kids being terrorists when they buy them this game.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

What about the fact that actual US/Allied troops are currently being killed? I bet more than a few of them don't like it.

5. 184550 Guest

Personally I find the Taliban option tasteless given that we are still involved in Afghanistan/ Pakistan and soldiers are dying over there every day.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

How about a Nazi stormtrooper? There are Jewish Holocaust survivors.
    A Japanese Kamikaze pilot? There are WWII verterans and their families.
    Vietcong? Ask the veterans.

It's an imaginary role-playing game. Let's not overreact.

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I completely agree. People need to stop with this pathetic sniveling over anything that may come across as not supporting our troops, or being unpatriotic.

It's just a game people. Playing as a Nazi is no different, except for the fact that WWII took place 70 years ago.

-Don

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

^^^

What he said.

I like playing Battlestations: Pacific and play the Japanese campaign where I begin bombing Pearl Harbor and end invading Pearl Harbor with the Yamato and two carriers filled with kamikaze's to take out New Jersey and Iowa.

Am I a bad person now who hates America because I like playing as the Japanese then the Americans?

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

My guess is that the new Medal of Honor game is a bit crap so EA have included some poor taste Modern Warfare-aping controversy to generate hype.

10. 184550 Guest

IMO what makes this option tasteless is that the fact that we are still in Afghanistan and Pakistan (like I said earlier).

Do you think it would have been appropriate, had the technology existed in the 1930s/ 1940s, for EA to publish a game that allowed one to play as the Nazis or Japanese while US troops (and our allies) were dying on the beaches of Normandy or on the islands of the Pacific?

11. supercaliber macrumors regular

Very smart move by EA. My kids and their friends are all talking about it.

As for poor taste, can bad guys only be fictitious characters that control the dark side. Give me a break.

I will change my opinion on the taste issue if soldiers find it offensive. However, my guess is that soldiers will be playing it in their free time, just like the NFL players that play Madden.

12. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

For one, no one on this thread is freaking out or calling anyone an America hater (so far, at least).

And both of your points are valid but fail to take into account the fact that while there are Holocaust survivors and living WWII vets, they don't have to face that again tomorrow (or ever, for that matter). But there are thousands of soldiers/marines/etc. who will be facing the Taliban (and being killed by them) tomorrow, and the next day...

So does the fact that the Taliban is still committing atrocities not make any difference? I'm a little torn on this subject, myself. I think it's a little in poor taste, but also see the point that it is, in the end, just a game.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

14. 184550 Guest

Not the same. The context in completely different.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's quite simple IMO...if you don't like it, don't buy it, and shut the hell up and let everyone else enjoy the game.

16. 184550 Guest

No one is saying (in this thread/ forum at least) that it shouldn't be sold and that others shouldn't be allowed to 'enjoy' it. We're arguing about the choice of taste that EA has displayed in this decision.

17. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I know two Marines who fought in Iraq who think the game is in poor taste.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

In your opinion.

19. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Oddly, the only people who seem to be overreacting on this thread are the ones who claim that everyone else is overreacting.

20. AceWilfong macrumors regular

AceWilfong

Poor taste, but it sparked more gab than a Snooki endorsement.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Bad taste? Definitely.

Something to get worked up about? Hell no, if you wanna be mad just look at something other than these stupid distractions.:rolleyes:

22. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Who is getting mad?

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

All the protesters over a community centre, the tea party etc. etc.

24. Ttownbeast, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  25. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

What does any of that have to do with this video game?

What is?