Media ³

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by visim91, Nov 13, 2011.

1. visim91, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

visim91 macrumors 6502

MEDIA ³
    A G4 Cube Mod.

I understand and respect the G4 Cube mods that countless other users have detailed online: from the installation of custom parts to create an aesthetically pleasing hackintosh - to the more simple, but equally rewarding process of gutting the Cube to make way for a Mini. Great.

Now, let me briefly detail my situation and subsequently, my needs (er.. *wants)

I have a shambolic media collection; one that is spread between a number of external hard drives of varied sizes and origin. What a mess.
    So, I consolidated and organized the files; trashed the impulse buys and held on to those cherished films and shows that I could not do without: This was hard.

What I want to do is mod my G4 Cube to house anywhere from 6-8 TB; essentially, make my G4 Cube a large external hard drive, the most ultimate and aesthetically pleasing media storage device.

& I have no idea where to start... but I know: It must be done.

Well, the Cube should have 4 bays, which I would fill, at present time, with 3x 2TB HDDs
    -How would I go about producing or finding a bare-bones 4-bay enclosure to fit in Cube?
    -How would I then go about cooling the whole shindig?
    -How does one consolidate the drives to be recognized as a single 6/8TB HDD via computer?
    -How do I configure this set-up to exit via a USB 2.0 connection
    -Is there a possibility, in the coming months, that I may be able to switch this set-up from USB to Thunderbolt?

2. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

First off, TIMG your pictures, please.

Get the interior dimensions and compare with the dimensions of the assorted enclosures available in a place like New Egg or CDW.

That's the biggest problem you'll have. I'd recommend a large diameter, low RPM fan on the bottom of the case.

You'll almost certainly need a RAID controller for that.

Don't do that. I'd really recommend an eSATA connection for this. As stated above, you'll probably want a RAID controller and you can't really do RAID over USB. Additionally, you'll want a good RAID controller for the sake of your data's integrity. The downside is that you'll lose capacity for a parity drive or drives.

Almost certainly not.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wait.
    Are you trying to gut the cube and fill it with hard drives?
    If so:
    you could put hard drives in it but it would be slow over usb 2
    do you have any thunderbolt macs?
    Because then you could get some thunderbolt drives and daisy chain 3 together and shove everything in there.

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I will make you a deal.. if you lose the giant generic Cube photo (we all know what one looks like) and the unnecessary screenshots of every video file you have I will gladly help you.

When you show a bunch of unnecessary photos and then ask for help it looks like your priority was just to show photos. Hence the not really being helped yet.

Deal?

5. visim91 thread starter macrumors 6502