Media bias...what media bias?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Mar 15, 2016.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Yahoo News is carrying water for the Democrats as usual:

[​IMG]
    They're not even trying to hide their bias anymore.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
  3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The only thing accurate about OP's post was the accurate use of the words "they're" and "their".

Stop buying into the "mainstream media bias" nonsense.

4. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

This is how he looks when he's with his supermodel wife:

[​IMG]

I think he was probably smiling like that all night after he took Florida and Illinois, don't you?

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

as good enema would fix that.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2016 ---
    notice she is not smiling? all she gets is money and a old hair challenged foggy.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Butterface.

Also, that's an obvious photoshop. I mean look at the eyes. Obvious smudge tool usage. And the smile? It looks like someone took his mouth and flipped it around...
    I dunno. It might kill him...

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Well, Trump is full of **** after all.

8. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Because you say so? Brilliant!

Let me help you understand:
    Bias by photos, captions, and camera angles: Pictures can make a person look good, bad, sick, silly, etc. Which photos a newspaper chooses to run can heavily influence the public's perception of a person or event. On TV, images, captions, and narration of a TV anchor or reporter can be sources of bias.​
    Trump is full of stars?! What a nice thing to say.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You can clearly read (and copy and paste from) the dictionary, but you clearly struggle to actually apply the definition in your first post.
    You also clearly struggle with context clues.

10. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Wasn't the dictionary, so you're CLEARLY not paying attention.

I'm still astonished that you paid Trump such a nice compliment.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Looks like Trump is staring at Hilary's overbite.
    Look at his eyes in that photo...

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's an interesting point, because there is a kernel of truth. A choice of pictures can influence the perception of a person. However, before claiming bias there are several important caveats.

First, Yahoo News has a small news gathering organization, and thus relies on contracts with other photography outlets, including Reuters, Getty Images, and a few others.

And each of these images are structured by contracts that can have slightly different rules on when a photo can be used, especially for social media.

So, in this case, the social media editors used a collection of photographs to illustrate their tweet, but we don't know what was in that collection of images.

For instance, check out the Getty images of HRC compared to Trump. Now, there are a few photos were HRC has serious crazy eyes and photos of Trump that looks like he's trying to break wind and failing. So, the Yahoo editor skipped over those, and went to two approximately compared portraits.

And, the editor probably did this quickly, while balancing a phone in their other hand.

So, it's difficult to take a comparison of images of two presidential candidates and proclaim media bias from one tweet posted by one social media editor on a busy Tuesday.

13. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

More accurate representation of Hillary's feelings tonight:

[​IMG]

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. This image is great of Trump, but the editor would have to completely crop it to make the side-by-side image of HRC work. And, while this image was taken by Getty photographer Paul Morigi in 2014.

So, a conscientious editor would not use it because it requires heavy cropping and was made two-years ago.

Again, most people don't know anything about the news business and make assumptions to fit their preconceived notions about how the news should work.

Meanwhile, for real bias, take a look at the front page of Breitbart:

Attached Files:

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

Breitbart makes no pretense at being an objective news organization as it's also a small news gathering organization specializing in some news, largely opinion, but with a bent on undoing Left wing dominated MSM intentional smears, distortions, and misrepresentation.

16. zin macrumors 6502

They attempt that with right wing intentional smears, distortions, and misrepresentation.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

As Christopher Hitchens said of Jerry Falwell when he died "if you gave him a enema you could bury him in a matchbox" cutting and applies to Trump as well.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Unless you're a fair-minded person, in which case Breitbart makes no pretense of being a news organization, having a bent on smears, distortion and misrepresentation.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Mr. Duck, where would I find your thread about all the bad pictures of Hillary Clinton used in the media?

Let me help you understand. Bias by photos, captions, and camera angles: Pictures can make a person look good, bad, sick, silly, etc. Which photos a newspaper chooses to run can heavily influence the public's perception of a person or event. On TV, images, captions, and narration of a TV anchor or reporter can be sources of bias.

Unless you can direct me to your thread on Hillary pictures, one can only logically assume this is nothing more than a partisan thread designed to rile others up.

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am sure the media (right and left) doesn't like him, but they love the ratings in slamming Trump.

But of late, at least since Megyn Kelly incident, Fox has shown bias against Trump way more than CNN. The only cheerleaders for Trump have been some of CNN's own regular crew. Fox only brings in a Trump person not affiliated with the network so that the Fox regulars could accuse Trump of being "liberal" or a "Clinton plant" or "secretly giving to liberal politicians", etc.

21. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Interesting post. But all your harried news editor had to do was add "smiling" to her query and she'd have had no shortage of comparable images to pair with that smiling Hillary pic.

Bias, pure and simple.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2016 ---
    Whoa! How about you start by showing evidence of such like I did? Yahoo News is a major media source, so you'll need to do the same. Find a photo from a major news organ that pairs a smiling Republican with a frowning, brooding Hillary in a context where both should be smiling and I'll concede your point.