media correspondent throws shoes at President Bush

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aethelbert, Dec 14, 2008.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

Do people seriously have to stoop so low to make their point when in the presence of someone who disagrees? With him being so close to leaving office, what's the point?
    Arcitle with action-packed video footage

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's terrible. That Muntadar al-Zeidi must have no sole to do something like that. I hope they booted him out :mad:.

edit:
    By disagrees here you're referring to starting a war that killed conservatively a hundred thousand of this man's family, friends, and fellow countrymen, displaced millions from their homes, and plunged a country into ruin (no electricity, no water, no hospitals, no food etc). Yes?

3. Queso macrumors G4

Shame they didn't hit him slap bang in the middle of his idiot-grinning face. He's responsible for tearing that country to pieces. If all he faces is a flying shoe he's far luckier than the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who didn't live to see his final days in office.

It's a shame the guy called him a dog though. That's highly insulting to man's best friend.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

They guy's a real heel.

And am I the only one a little disappointed with the secret service? I realize shoes aren't exactly WMDs, but they could have at least stopped the second assault.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I've got images of a secret service agent* diving through the air and taking the shoe shot himself. All the time yelling "Nooooooooooo"...

*On his last day of work before retiring and spending time with his family on their new boat called True Love.

6. Queso macrumors G4

7. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

I couldn't care any less about your views on the war. If one wants to make a point, trying to hit someone in the face with a shoe isn't the way to do that...

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps he wanted to express his disgust in a manner akin to the beating with shoes of Saddam Hussein's statue in that famously stage-managed show in Baghdad in 2003. And why not?

9. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I didn't post about my views on the war :confused:? That is what has actually happened. It's worth reading up on.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, no, no, they were greeted with flowers. All the rest is liberal propaganda.

12. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Sure all of that happened, but positive outcomes came from it as well. You're obviously making some sort of statement of negativity towards the invasion by selectively choosing what to type. Yet I don't find that throwing a shoe really solves any problems... Feel free to place any sort of emphasis on whichever events you please, but if throwing shoes is your style of expressing discontent, I'd better stay away.

Whether you want to turn this into a debate about how you hate the war or not, I'm trying to point out the stupidity of throwing shoes in attempt to convey a message. The situation's extremity is irrelevant; dumb things like this only make one lose credibility.

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

The best, most cutting remark I've read on this site for quite sometime. You don't come back from a line like that, Andy.

It reminds me of a line from 'The West Wing' where Jed Bartlett is in a presidential debate:

Governor Robert Ritchie: Now, he's going to throw a big word at you - "unfunded mandate." He's going to say if Washington lets the states do it, it's an unfunded mandate. But what he doesn't like is the federal government losing power. But I call it the ingenuity of the American people.

Moderator: President Bartlet, you have 60 seconds for a question and an answer.

President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet: Well, first of all, let's clear up a couple of things. "Unfunded mandate" is two words, not one big word.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

President bush responded with "Looks like the shoes on the other hand now isnt it!?"

Honestly if it were me I would have gone with the austin powers line *fake british accent* " Honestly! Who throws a shoe!?"

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What positives should every day Iraqi citizens focus on to take their mind off everything that has happened?

I think you're over analysing things a bit. I don't think this guy had a message to convey besides profanity and complete disrespect. He certainly wasn't thinking of advancing his credibility. There's a context to this you are trying to ignore.

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

17. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

I wonder if he got his shoes back.
    Otherwise it seems like it would be a waste.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I believe the reporter got a good tongue-lashing.

19. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Can you blame the guy? President Bush is (probably) the most hated man in all the world. Kudos to the shoe thrower.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, thankfully, or otherwise (depending if your nuts or other wise) at least he didn't take any lessons from Richard Colvin Reid (a.k.a Abdul Raheem). :eek:

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Where are those WMD's? Mr President, Mr Vice President, Karl Rove and most of the Republican party? Trillion dollars pissed away, 4,000 dead Americans, many more missing limbs, over 100,000 dead Iraqi's, a destroyed country all for one man named Saddam.

Bush calls himself a Christian. I wish the reporter had a better throw.

23. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

For those of you who were unaware, the showing of the soles of your shoes, or the throwing / hitting with shoes, is a very, very high insult in that culture. Depending on who you ask, some say the highest insult, though I have a little trouble believing that. In any case, to us it was, "wha-, a shoe? Really?" whereas over there it is a large statement and insult.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

He did do a good job ducking those shoes, come to think of it its the only thing he has done right in 8 years.