Media moves in, being in bed wasn't enough

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://drudgereport.com/flashaot.htm

Apparently getting the guy elected wasn't enough for them. They will now sell whatever he wants to the American people.

It used to be that the press kept the Congress and President on their toes by looking for chinks in the armor and problems. Now they are nothing more than a mouthpiece for their idol.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

lol drudgereport

I'm sure Ken McKay has no problem with Fox News coverage.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...I need a little more info before I can comment on this.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And I need something not written by RNC staffers and posted on the Sludge Report.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh here we go. Shivetya- your hysterical side pops up once again. This isn't a government/media plot.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/20...primetime-televised-conversation-june-24.html

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have little faith left in the media. I willing to bet that they will slant the issue. The media is using its power for its personal agendas no longer wanting to go about the truth.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You mean like Fox News?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I mean all of them. Not just fox news. They all started leaving out information to suite their case. I would not put it pass ABC to "claim" to be fair just like fox on this issue but here I think they are handing more over than they should.

10. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I got sidetracked while posting, so I think I was in the middle of posting you put that link up. I didn't see it when I started.

This just reinforces my belief that all mainstream media is biased. It's not just Fox.

11. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

The media is not necessarily biased. The media, however, fails to report significant news. They appreciate irrelevant information and things that are not terribly important and make them important without proper context.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Did you read what I posted? I don't think they're handing over anything. You think they didn't do the same for Bush, Clinton and every other president? I'm sorry- I'm not seeing this takeover of the media drudge and shivetya are claiming.

This stuff really makes me giggle. So now, since Fox is biased, everyone is? You guys do realize that conservatives own the major media outlets, right?

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Too true. I miss the good old days when the Forth Estate reported news, not the sensationalism passed off as news. It was a sad day when Walter Cronkite retired. I considered that day the day real news reporting died.:(

14. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Biased media sells period. How else could you explain the success of Fox News and MSNBC? Their journalism credentials? Ahh pleAAASSE :D

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well yes, but there are degrees of bias. Fox News is much much more bias than any other US TV station, and the US TV stations are more bias than the BBC is for example.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I believe the Economist is actually doing very well at the moment and they seem to try and be as unbiased as possible.

17. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Yes, but in the same breath where people call Fox News biased on these forums, they will follow it up by quoting something from the Huffington Post, NYT, or the Daily Kos.

Absolutely laughable. What's scary is that people on either side of the aisle will read these sources, and never even hear the other side of the story. Never make an attempt to even understand what/how/why the other side believes.

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

A news channel is to provide a means for the public to ask the President questions concerning potential healthcare reform. How is this a bad thing?

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry- Fox News is by far the most ridiculous "news source" in the US. It's an absolute joke. And I can't speak for anyone else, but I never quote any of the sources you mentioned. My most common source is the Chicago Tribune, which is considered to lean conservative.

It's not a bad thing. But anything the Republicans can make a big deal of, they will. There's not even a story here. It's beyond goofy.

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

leekohler, IMO programs like the O'Reilly Factor and Hannity, etc, are not news programs. They're editorial programs ABOUT the news. Same for any other opinion program, whether TV or radio. IOW, Limbaugh is not news; he's speaking editorials instead of writing them for a newspaper.

To me, news is who did what to whom and where and when. Not "What does it mean?" as with the Sunday morning talking heads.

In the straight-news, no editorializing programs, Fox does seem to have more objective phrasing than the others. Fewer emotionally-laden words. Not saying that it's any sort of "always"; just a generality from browsing the channels from time to time.

'Rat

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks for the condescending words- as if I don't know what editorial commentary is.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. I've seen it too.

22. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

This the problem. In the never ending race for ratings, the news programs have turned to political commentary. Look, personal bias is part of human nature, and it has always shown up to some degree in news broadcasting. In, the era of 24 hour news, these programs have to do something to get viewers. After 9/11, Fox News basically decided to play on people's fears and shot to the top in ratings. It looks like MSNBC has decided to be the opposite of Fox.

While I do think most MSM is slightly more biased toward liberalism, it is a long-standing tradition in the media. I often wonder what Fox News would think of the muckraker journalists of the late 19th/early 20th century. Ultimately, most MSM is only as liberal as their corporate masters will allow them to be.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Fox News does have a "straight" news component, but I'd argue that since they bury it between opinion segments, inherently biased questions, and a ticker-tape that is incredibly biased, it's nigh impossible to get "straight" news without some bit of opinionated-radioactivity too.

Of course, a critique of Fox News is not a defense of the others, many of whom have been stealing from the Fox News playbook and introduced their own insults to journalistic ethics. MSNBC, I'm looking at you. And CNN seems completely unable to grasp that they're anything but a 24-hour advertisement for Twitter.

At this point, I've nearly given up on television news.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is true. TV news in general is Teh Stupid™.