Medical Marijuana User: Papa John's Driver Ratted Me Out To The Cops

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Oct 4, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What an absurd story. Who does that delivery driver think he is?

Link

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If the guy didn't break the law, then why's he so upset? :confused:

I hesitate to endorse a world where people should be discouraged from calling the police when they suspect wrongdoing. The police will either investigate or not, based on the information they receive.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

He is a responsible citizen who was concerned about the child.

What don't you get?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Agreed.

5. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

What a Douchebag. Just another product of Govt brainwashing.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Just deliver the goddamn pizza and shut the **** up.

7. Abyssgh0st, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Would he have called the police if the man was smoking a cigarette?

Assuming him being 'concerned' for the child was based off of the smoke, or the act of smoking marijuana.

8. dime21 macrumors 6502

Reporting a crime to the police is exactly how the system is supposed to work; it's the obligation of any law abiding citizen. What if the delivery guy witnessed a man beating the crap out of his wife or kids? He should say nothing?

It's up to the police to decide how to act based on the tip. If the smoker wasn't breaking any laws, then nothing will come of it.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

We will never know will we?

However, I applaud anyone who reports a potentially unsafe environment for a child who is unable to change it for themselves.

Exactly

10. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Right, because smoking weed is just as harmful as beating the crap out of one's wife or kids. :rolleyes:

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's not the point. He saw something that he thought was wrong and alerted the police. He acted properly.

Disclosure: I'm all for legalizing marijuana.

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

That pizza driver sure is a douche for snitching, karma will strike back at him though

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well hopefully the man sues Papa John's for this. I don't always approve of an over-zealous legal system, but for times like this I think it's necessary.

14. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

There is a 9 year old child involved. Delivery guy did the right thing.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Sue on what basis exactly?

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

If the man had simply answered the door with a can of Budweiser in his hand, the driver had automatically concluded that because he was holding a beer can he must be roaring drunk and called the police to report that he had seen a child in danger due to her intoxicated parent, then would you all still think his actions were the perfectly defensible actions of a reasonable concerned citizen?

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And I hope the judge tosses out the case. Legal experts already stated the guy does not have a case at all.

The driver did nothing wrong and he did the correct thing. It is the cops jobs on how to act. They responded saw that there was nothing wrong and left it at that. We should never be afraid the call the cops on what we think is a crime. Papa John's is clearly backing the driver and says he did the right thing.

Hell I would rather deal with the minor issue of talking with the cops than a true crime go unreported. The guy was just embarrassed and he is choosing to take it out on someone else. If he never said anything guess what no one would ever know.

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Pain and suffering, public humiliation, slander and libel, now that the media has picked up the story, the entire nation is aware that he's a horrible father who smokes illegal substance around his kid. All because the Papa John's pizza delivery boy couldn't keep his mouth shut about a situation he didn't completely understand. And lets face it.. How is smoking marajuana even close to child endangerment? Being drunk is far, far, worse...

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

That he interrupted his mellow man. All he wanted was a slice of pizza man.

:cool:

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Well, yeah, actually.

If you think a crime is being committed, or if you think someone's in danger, you call the police. The police will make the determination whether they need to investigate further.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dude, man, if the munchies aren't sacred in this country, what is, man? :D

Seriously, throwing suits like this out quickly or holding them to a high bar (e.g., proving that the pizza guy willfully misrepresented the situation to the police) is an element of tort reform that makes sense. On the other hand, the issue does have implications -- one's pizza guy rarely makes frivolous calls to the police, but one's ex-husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/etc probably do engage in a fair amount of this.

I had to call the police on someone who told me (via IM :rolleyes:) that they were going to kill themselves. The person involved was crazy and probably wasn't going to actually do anything, but when one sees a danger, one has to act in good faith. If the driver legitimately thought he saw a dangerous situation, calling the police is the right thing to do, even if it turns out it's not an issue that warrants their interference.

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Exactly. The police came out, saw that he held a license or permit (whatever it's called) to smoke marijuana for medical purpose and no legal action was taken. If anything he should be considerate that the kid was looking out for people.

It's like when someone checks my ID for a credit card purchase. I don't get irritated and upset. I tell them thank you for making sure the correct card was in the correct possession.

In this case the kid was making sure everything was on the up and up and once it was shown to be, everyone got to move on with their lives.

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This is a non-story, in the sense that millions of people tip off the police daily. Some of it is legitimate, some imagined or misinterpereted. Some calls are made by people just trying to cause trouble or revenge themselves on someone.

Years ago a few friends of mine delivered pizzas and they came away with numerous funny/scary stories about the things they've seen people doing when they went to deliver a pizza.

One friend of mine eventually refused to deliver to a regular customer because he and his wife were morbidly obese and he felt that he was literally killing them by delivering several extra-large pizzas, 2-liters of soda and breadsticks several times a week.

24. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Okay, you're willing to bite the bullet on that. Is there a limit? Keep in mind that this driver wasn't just reporting what he saw. He inferred a crime he did not observe and then dramatized his imaginings to the police.

So let's carry the analogy a little further. Suppose the man had been housecleaning and when the driver arrived he saw containers of cleaners in the living room. The driver thinks to himself, I've heard that household chemicals can be used in the construction of bombs! He then calls the police and says, "I was delivering a pizza and I just saw a man making bombs in his living room!" You can say it's the police's job to decide how to react, but the police will respond to the report they receive, and in this case an entirely innocent man is somewhat likely to end up shot to death by the SWAT team in less time than it took the pizza to show up.

So again I ask, at what point does the reporting party bear some responsibility for the harm caused by reporting their false inferences to the police as fact?

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Either you have firsthand knowledge of the case, or you're making stuff up - the article (I read it twice, just to make sure) doesn't say anything about "dramatizing his imaginings" - it says he claims to have seen the guy smoking in the presence of his kid. Now, I know this boils down to a "he said/he said" situation, but that's hardly "imagining" or "dramatizing."

To address your question, there may well be a limit, but this delivery driver didn't cross it. If someone is frivolously calling the police about something that obviously isn't a crime (say, for example, the guy was alone by himself and he was observed sitting on the sofa playing a pair of bongos), then I imagine the police would simply not send anybody out to the house - again, no harm, no foul.

There's not a single instance I can think of where buying and using Pledge and Windex is illegal. Can you? Marijuana doesn't fall into that category.

If he saw the guy with a gun in his hand - which may or may not have been legal - and he called the police, he'd be well within his bounds to do so, IMO.

There would have to actually be harm in the first place. There was none here. The guy called the cops, the cops investigated, no crime was discovered, everybody went about their business.