Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Edit: It's Out! iTunes Link

Source

The company plans to formally unveil the app next Tuesday, the 16th. Watch for it in the App Store. It will be a free download.

The app itself contains only three main areas: Buddies, Chats, and Accounts. Buddies obviously shows you a list of all your contacts. Chats keeps track of who you are actively chatting with. And Accounts allows you to set status messages, and toggle settings such as being visible. From here you can also add accounts, which is the key to Meebo.

While the main network screen shows you the 8 most popular chatting services you can link up (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Google Talk, MySpace IM, ICQ, Jabber, and Facebook), the “More Networks” area gives you access to dozens of other ones. Once you add these, all your contacts on all these networks are seamlessly added into you buddy list.

And yes, it does offer Push Notifications, so you don’t have to have the app open at all times to actually use it on the iPhone.

Screenshots:
meeb.png
mee1.png
mee2.png

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Source

The company plans to formally unveil the app next Tuesday, the 16th. Watch for it in the App Store. It will be a free download.

The app itself contains only three main areas: Buddies, Chats, and Accounts. Buddies obviously shows you a list of all your contacts. Chats keeps track of who you are actively chatting with. And Accounts allows you to set status messages, and toggle settings such as being visible. From here you can also add accounts, which is the key to Meebo.

While the main network screen shows you the 8 most popular chatting services you can link up (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Google Talk, MySpace IM, ICQ, Jabber, and Facebook), the “More Networks” area gives you access to dozens of other ones. Once you add these, all your contacts on all these networks are seamlessly added into you buddy list.

And yes, it does offer Push Notifications, so you don’t have to have the app open at all times to actually use it on the iPhone.

Screenshots:
meeb.png
mee1.png
mee2.png

Is there a time period that it disconnects your session? For Example, beejive does 24 hours, etc...

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
Im deffo gonna be downloading this when its released. I cant seem to find a decent MSN messenger type app on the iphone at the mo.. Only ones that support AIM etc etc.. Essentially i would quite like an app not too dissimilar from Adium in its support infrastructure- this seems to supply that :)

PTP

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
what has it been a year since this was announced? bout time :)
Yeah, what's up with that?
They were one of the developers who showcased their app at the iPhone OS 3.0 unveiling event in March last year and they still haven't launched the app?
I have no use for Meebo, but if I did, I'd be tearing my hair out, lol.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
TechCrunch said:

Free download? I'm trying to figure out how Meebo are planning on making money with this. I really hope it's not full of ads like the AOL app...

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Is there a time period that it disconnects your session? For Example, beejive does 24 hours, etc...

I doubt it. Meebo can't compete with BeeJive yet. Beejive wasn't where it was at when it first launched in the App Store.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I doubt it. Meebo can't compete with BeeJive yet. Beejive wasn't where it was at when it first launched in the App Store.

yeah but Meebo was the first all in one IM app for the iPhone granted it was a web app but still it was the first.

dunlapface

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
Wow, it's about time! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem to look like the same app that they demoed a year ago. And what is this about it being free? Seems like meebo just wanted to shut people up and push an app out there. I wonder how good it is going to be.

I'll download it and see what punch it packs, but I'll probably stick with beejive for the time being.

dunlapface

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
Wow, it's about time! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem to look like the same app that they demoed a year ago. And what is this about it being free? Seems like meebo just wanted to shut people up and push an app out there. I wonder how good it is going to be.

I'll download it and see what punch it packs, but I'll probably stick with beejive for the time being.

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
I'll try it, but I don't see it replacing Trillian 1.1 for me, especially when the Mac version of Trillian hits 1.0.

They're very late to the game. Probably why it's free. They'd have a harder time breaking ground in the market if it had a cost. I don't suspect it'll always stay free. Or at least there might be a non-free version with some special features/no ads (if they add them).

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Meebo is now in the app store. The options are limited but the app is super fast. If you login to the web app, it will disable notifications on your phone which is cool. But you are allowed to be logged into both locations at once with no problems. I also like the server side history feature. I don't see a way to set the timeout for auto logoff but it is at least 10 hours as I am still logged in after that long and I still receive notifications. It is definitely a great app for the price (free!).

xolan99

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
I like this free syncing between web interface and my iPhone.

App loads quickly. No bells & whistles but it gets the job done for sure. Push comes in really fast too.

I just might ditch beejive in favor of this.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
This app is great

I wish it had Twitter and a black theme

But other then that no need to buy beejive or im+ now

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
It's working great so far. I love how quickly the application opens. I was using E-Buddy up until now and it killed me how long it took to open. The person IM'ing me often gave up and went away because it would take me so long to respond!

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Having been happy with Beejive, I'm not too concerned about Meebo, but given the price... I might check it out.

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
I'm loving the way that signing into Meebo web disables to push notifications to the iPhone. Being able to simultaneously IM on multiple devices was what was missing from BeeJive for me.

Would still like to know about the session timeouts, though - are we to be connected indefinitely?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.