Meet Fake News Poster Boy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jan 19, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

[​IMG]
    In today's New York Times, the story of how Cameron Harris, a recent Davidson College graduate created a "Fake News" story, detailing a totally fictitious Hillary Clinton "scandal" - thereby earning himself thousands of dollars in advertising revenue.

He posted this story on his fake news website ChristianTimesNewspaper.com, complete with a photograph of a man standing in a truck behind boxes marked "ballot box"

Harris promoted the story on a half dozen or so fake Facebook pages he had created. Ultimately the story was shared more than six million times. But he didn't stop there:

Was Harris a fervent trump supporter? Not really:
    Emphasis Mine.

Thanks, Cameron. For helping put Donald Trump in the White House. And for proving, beyond all reasonable doubt, what a pack of credulous fools we have in this country.

And, in case anyone is wondering: There is plenty of supporting evidence on this story.

Local TV Story
    Fired from Maryland State aide position over his role in fake news

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Huh, I thought this was going to be about HuffPo, Snopes, or 538.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

American people will believe anything,,,,,,,like a landslide win ..........

4. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

5. HEK, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017

HEK Suspended

HEK

Yeah landslide 11,000 vote win in Wisconson wasn't it. Wow what a mandate.

Before people jump up and down saying the Don won by huge amount, look at reality and see it was a squeaker win. Which means there will continue to be a great deal of opposition. Ignoring 51% of electorate does have consequences.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Actually Hillary Clinton and the DNC helped put Trump in the WH.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sometimes I think we’ve been caught up as audience to an extremely well coordinated production of infotainment that began with the eye-catching, ear-catching, astoundingly addictive showcasing of one Donald Trump’s announcement he’d run for President of the United States of America.

And that ever since then, we’ve been glued to this now long running show.

Of course back in 1938 this type of infotainment did exist, e.g., the War of the Worlds radio broadcast may have been what became the most well known “fake news” until Andy Borowitz hit the print scene, but back in 1938 even mass audiences were much smaller and not everyone had a radio, or had ever heard of Mercury Theater of the Air, much less Orson Welles...

Anyway I for one would be delighted to know that War of the Worlds had been displaced by The Donald Trump News Flash as the world’s most well known (and longest) single episode of fake news so far.

If that turns out to be true, please wake me up when it’s over. :rolleyes:

8. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

And he was canned by his boss. Unlike how the Democrats handle such scandals, he wasn't immediately hired by another Republican.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Totally thought this thread was going to be about:

Donald-Trump-Iowa-REUTERS-800x430.png

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

11. chown33 macrumors 604

12. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I'll be honest here, I got so cought up listening to CNN, that I finely had to get rid of my Sirius radio. Completely dropped it. Now, The only news I get while driving is local and NPR, All things considered. All things considered is a breath of fresh air.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Oh lord. You don't understand the difference between a guy who made up a story in order to make money using the gullibility of the average Trump supporter and two news sites and a fact-checking site.

It's easy. This guy made up a story. Then, he put that story out there. And, people clicked on the link and shared it, and he made money on the clicks.

FiveThirtyEight used a statistical evaluation of polls to show that Hillary Clinton had a 75 percent chance of winning the election. For those who can't win at poker or rock-paper-scissors, this also means that she had a 1 in 4 chance of losing. That's why FiveThirtyEight used a probability spread.

And, the national polls were right. HRC earned 48.2 percent of the vote compared to 46.1 percent that Donald Trump earned, beating Trump by 2.1 percent of the total vote or nearly 3 million votes.

The problem for HRC was that a small margin of 11,000 votes in Wisconsin doomed her because of the Electoral College.

The Huffington Post is largely an opinion site, so the fact that "Person X" has an opinion is by itself not fake news. They might be totally wrong, but that's a different paradigm.

And, Snopes does good leg work to ensure that stupid internet memes get proven to be artificial ********.

Russian hackers, social media's tendency to make fake news profitable, and Comey's letter didn't help, but yep, the tactical failure of the Hillary Clinton campaign allowed Wisconsin, and several other states to fall into Trump's corner.

At the same time, Clinton's email scandal was a boat anchor she tied around her own neck. And, the DNC seemed determined to look bad even when it was malingering when it came to Bernie Sanders.

Each was a nail in the coffin.

Frankly, I'd sack most of the DNC leadership and send the Clintons out to pasture.

14. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

Good thing you put emphasis on something a college grad whose biggest ambition was to make "a couple thousand dollars" by blatantly lying and promoting it through fake accounts said. We should probably take everything he says as true... right? Wasn't that the point of this article?

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I agree 100%, the russian hackers really only released things that just made a bad candidate that no one trusts (through her own fault) even less desirable. But Trump won and it's all the fault of the white racists in this country according to many on the left.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right, but the failure is to think that the RNC doesn't have the same kind of emails. If you think the RNC has clean hands, or effectively protected itself from the same hacks, I've got some wonderful land in Florida to sell you.

But, it played right into the main ideas about HRC.

As for Trump's win, let's not kid ourselves, there is a contingent of Nazis who celebrated Trump's win. They didn't help Trump win, but they're attracted to his comments on immigrants, Muslims, and others.

As the Assyrian proverb goes, "Tell me who you walk with, and I'll tell you who you are."

17. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

I didn't see Trump "walking with" any Nazis. He has not openly spoken out about a lot of those supporters but he has done stuff like holding up and parading around a gay pride flag. Your proverb doesn't really fit with the scenario.

18. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

My takeaway from this (and other) "Fake News" stories is this: It really does seem to be a fact that only fraudulent stories supporting a conservative viewpoint seem to generate the sort of traction necessary for them to be a profitable enterprise.

That was the case with this joker. And it was the case with those Macedonia teenagers.

And before anyone thinks that Google or Facebook changing their advertising policies to exclude content on "fake news" websites is going to change anything: Think again. There are hundreds of other companies willing to sell ads on stories that generate thousands, or millions, of clicks. Neither Google nor Facebook have a monopoly on internet advertising.

We have a well-established principle of Free Speech here in the United States. We also have a long tradition of acceptance of satire as a form of entertainment and political expression. So there is really very little that the Government - any government - can do to stop the spread of "fake news" as a political weapon.

So it is therefore incumbent upon us all - as citizens, and as responsible voters and taxpayers - to do our own part to stop the spread of fake news masquerading as the real thing. Conservatives might be yukking it up today, celebrating Trump's impending inauguration. But trust me - creating a reality out of lies and deliberate misinformation is guaranteed to ultimately destroy you. As a famous Republican President said: You cannot fool all the people all the time.....

(Actually he didn't. But then that's the point, isn't it.)

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I wouldn't be surprised if the RNC doesn't have the same kind of emails. I question why some 21yr old out of work IT liberal living in his mothers basement couldn't get to them? Anonymous you'd think of all groups would be willing, ready, and able to counter what Russia did. But there's nothing?

20. eatrains macrumors regular

Not really surprising. Conservatives have for a long time demonized education and critical thinking. When you become convinced that the truth is nothing but liberal propaganda, all you have left is the fake.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You're missing the point of the proverb, Trump isn't walking with them, but they're certainly trying to walk with him and he's been reticent about pushing them away.

As for the gay pride flag, that happened one time and I'm not sure that wholly symbolic gesture of hoisting a "LGBT for Trump" flag does much to dissuade modern Nazis.

22. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Obama walks with Bill Ayers. And he pardoned an unrepentant terrorist. Obama the Terrorist Groupie?

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep. Paul Horner, who ran his own "fake news" sites repeatedly called out Trump supporters saying "they don't fact check" in his interview with the Washington Post.

I see similar problems from left-leaning liberals—sharing of made-up or wrongly-attributed quotes, sharing balderdash health sites about the necessity of taking arsenic to cure cancer, etc.—but the right-wing has attacked other news sites over bias for so long that they've destroyed the idea that there can be objective journalism.

Trump supporters have been primed by outlets like WND, Breitbart, and Judicial Watch who mix real events with nonsense opinions and totally made up stories, and are now more likely to accept garbage websites.

Right. If each political ideology operates in its own reality, it will become increasingly impossible to get things done as a nation.

It's possible that the RNC really has stronger security, or that they've understood the threat, and avoiding using email as a place to discuss controversial subjects.

And, I'm not convinced that Anonymous is anything more than a bunch of mediocre script-kiddies.

24. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Hopefully Rivera lives a short life.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2017 ---
    That's being generous.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Here's what I know. He hopped on twitter immediately to bash John Lewis - but how long did it take him to renounce David Duke and others?

Now I'm not saying Trump is a Nazi or even anti-semitic.