Meet Mikey, 8: U.S. Has Him on Watch List

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

[​IMG]

Link to full article

Funny and sad at the same time. I so wish that people in this industry would just think about what they are doing before they put some crazy policy into place.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Why so, it's news related and not overtly political? :confused:

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why? Most of them don't venture outside of there.

5. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, the last thing we need is for them to justify some creep molesting an 8 year old before allowing him on the plane in the name of security :rolleyes:

7. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Huge facepalm. If we lose our civil rights like this, the terrorists are winning. Is there any common sense here?? This innocent little kid is obviously not a terrorist. And their reasoning is more than ridiculous. He has a similar name to a known terrorist. Wow. So what??????!!?!?! :mad: That makes him a threat now??! really? are people that stupid!! I swear, America is getting worse by the day. And and even worse, the actual terrorists are reading this and are laughing. Instead of trying to solve the real problem, we just turn on ourselves.

I am disgusted.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Exactly. And unless/until methods that may actually work are allowed to pass muster by those more concerned with, well, things other than actual security, this is all the TSA will be allowed to do: match names on a list, no matter the degree of absurdity.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's the fault of the Department of Homeland Security, and the TSA, for forgetting to include Step #2 in their protocol when handling these situations. I think the new protocol should be:

1. If the name matches one of those on our database, then prevent them from flying and contact the Department of Homeland Security.

2. Use common sense.

I can't say the same for the little boy's father though, who shares the same name. I couldn't blame the authorities for frisking him.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

Just playing devil's advocate here.

The problem with "Common Sense" is that it is not very common. Many, if not most, security breaches are caused by someone who exercised some discretion. In 99% of the times some guard or agent uses common sense to make someone's life easier, they are fine. However, every once in a while it leads to a security breach that may or may not lead to a catastrophe. At that point a directive will be issued that will close that area of discretion. Plus, anyone on the front lines will become more aware that their act of kindness could in fact be the chink in the armour that is being exploited.

I don't envy the job of the security screeners. Most humans are socialized to be helpful, and here you have a job where an act of kindness on your behalf could lead to the deaths of hundreds.

With all of the above said.... I think the terrorists are winning because of the huge infringement of what used to be normal civil protections. I think some governments have taken this opportunity to enhance their control of their populations in the interests of security.

And as for poor Mickey.... remember that in Iraq and Afghanistan some of the militants are using children to carry bomb making material, and sometimes bombs. That people with mental handicaps have been roped into being suicide bombers. Why do you think just appearing to be 8 years old makes someone automatically "safe"?

And finally.... where common sense would have actually been useful. Surely they have an estimated age for the suspicious person on the watch list. Comparing Mickey's apparent age to the age on the watch list would clear poor Mickey.

I also thought they had a system to get letters to mis-matched people to show the screeners?

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The problem is that adults are fairly difficult to age correctly, especially if they have botox etc.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Fair enough ... and I wouldn't want any discretion left to an agent to decide between 28 and 38. But surely the difference between 8 and 28 would be pretty clear.

The problem, I suppose, is if the suspicious name is 18, and if Mickey is bigger than average or looks older. At what point do you take the discretion away? (Rhetorical question). As I said earlier, I don't envy the security screeners jobs.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry... if the discussion is political (you talk about policy issues in the OP), then the PRSI is the only place it belongs on MR.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

My father had this same thing happen....a man by his name broke some law a while back and now he has issues when applying for things sometimes. Also when I was younger the police came to my house and tried to arrest him(they ended up not)(this was a while ago, before 9/11)

So while I see its a hassle, its not anything really new. The 8 year old part is sad, but in 10 years, he'll be 18, and how should people be able to make the difference?

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I am actually surprised how small the lists are. I would hate to have my or one of my children's name on the list. Then again my name is rather unique so if it was it would be me. :D

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Don't worry, little Mikey. Someday soon Bush and Cheney will be out of office and we'll get a new Democratic administration that will abolish these police state tactics. Just hang in there!

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I dont expect this one to change. I think it is catch 22. Let the agents use common sense and then things slip threw but in this case there is no question that the kid is not who who is on the enhance security list. Big time at 2 years old. Now by the time he gets is DL that is another story.

I would say it would suck if my name raise red flags because of some dumb ass but that is the way it is right now and will be for our life time. A few selfish people ruined it for all of us.
    Now that list should include some basic description of the person in question like skin color and race. Those are both very valid descriptions of some one and would really reduce things like this.

It kind of like pick your poison. Either allow race to be used in descriptions because it is a valid one. Or you get lots of stupid incidents like this.
    Either way even I think that common since tells you that the kid should be let threw. The dad on the other hand would have his name subject to the more enhanced screening.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed.

You would expect those to be used. Of course they can be masked, but you can also travel under a false name.

19. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Wasn't the unabomber Ted Kaczynski a member of boy scouts? :rolleyes::D

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I want to say that part of the reason Race is not put on there is well they are scared of a PR night mare when all of a sudden the media screams race discrimination.

I seen people get up in arms when on the news they release a report like
    A 175-200lb African American. Male. It stupid. Race is a valid description because it reduces a group of possiblities by the largest amount. Mix that with the next easy thing (sex) and you got a very quick way to reduce things. After that it requires much more finer details to describe the some one.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To play devils advocate but race can be tricky if it isn't done right.

Someone described as Arabian travelling on an Iranian passport might be flagged if the guy didn't know the culture, but they might be missed by someone who did. Ditto if they were described as Chinese but they actually looked Thai or Japanese (or maybe even Central Asian) as they look slightly different for the same reasons.

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The article says the first time Mikey was patted down was when he was 2. THAT's ridiculous.

23. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Its the parent's fault. They should have given their child a more original name. I'd suggest something like Forklift Pineapple Hicks.

Also, my guess is the government already has time travel technology. On a routine mission to the future, an agent discovered that a man named Mikey Hicks was going to cause some serious destruction. Apparently he was angry because of all the strange men and women that groped him throughout his life-starting at the age of two.

24. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

We'll all rue the day when James Smith, Michael Brown, and Sue Adams conspire to blow up a plane. What will the watch list do then?

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I read an article recently that claimed that the watch list database contains something like half a million names. If that's correct (and after reading about little Mikey above, I've no doubt that the writer wasn't too far from the truth), surely it's too broad to be of any practical use?