Meet the new Countdown, same as the old Countdown

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...which is not a bad thing. :)

Well, maybe not exactly the same. Keith Olbermann professed a great deal more freedom to say what he wants without being censored by his supervisors. (It might be an amusing aspect for the show, if he put a sort of asterisk up in the corner of the screen during every story which he knows would've gotten killed on his old network. :p )

Anyway. Differences? Well, I noticed that he doesn't actually count down his stories anymore. "Our fifth story on the Countdown...." And his special comment was, thank goodness, only a few minutes long. (I always thought he got way too overwound and long-winded on those.)

Other than that: familiar guests (Michael Moore, John Dean), familiar segments (Worst Person, a renamed "Oddball" clone), familiar music (Rossini's "Thieving Magpie"), familiar type of set, familiar interstitials, and of course the same show title, albeit with new opening credits.

In point of fact, I like the open. You know that, if Keith had stayed at MSNBC, sooner or later he would've had a freshened-up open anyway. Well, this looked like that. Same structure, different look (in tune with Current's overall look), but overall very comfortable for faithful KO viewers.

So overall, Keith and Current did a really nice job of moving the show to another network. Good work.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Keith is watching our moronic govt. Im glad he is back.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He's a blowhard and appeals only to the most partisan Democrats.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So does this mean that somebody actually was able to watch it? I thought that Current is only available in like 10 homes.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Not necessarily. Most moderates are just as irritated with people like Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck as the most left wing Democrats are. In the end, Every single talking head in the news is a narcissistic windbag inflated with partisan bile of some sort.

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Link

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

CNN looks like toast.

What markets is Current in, I assume only bigger markets carries it.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

ATT U-Verse carries it. Channel 189 here. I don't think I live in what what qualify as a "bigger market".

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's nationwide on U-Verse, FiOS, Dish and DirecTV, and I think Comcast carries it in most areas.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have not seen it on Comcast anywhere around here. 60 million is not a lot of homes.

11. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I actually noticed this while sifting through the channels. I was like, woah he's back! But then I realized it wasn't MSNBC and the production looked a lot worse... but I did notice that he clearly was speaking 100% what was on his mind, though. I might watch it regularly since CNN is absolute garbage until 8PM.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

MSNBC has 78 million, so 60 is not a huge step down.

13. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Olbermann is going to have a far smaller audience with his show now on Current TV. People forget his show was by far the most popular on MSNBC, and should have found a way to stay at that network.

In short, the big ego problems that got him ousted from ESPN ended up getting him ousted from MSNBC.