Meet Your Meat, the Barbarity of Halal Slaughter.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Feb 26, 2011.

1. appleguy123, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S7Hiu3ZJPt4
    I just watched this video and was horrified! How is this type of slaughter even legal in any civilized country?
    Question: Is there any way to check if your meat has come from this barbaric process? If so, I will avoid that meat from now on.
    EDIT: I've been informed that Kosher meat is also killed like this. I was not intentionally unfair to Muslims.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

All slaughter is barbaric. Delicious but barbaric.

3. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I so wish there was a way to eat meat without killing an animal...

Dammnit, God!

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

OP - It would help if you could spell. It's Halal, not Hatal.

This is the exact same process that Jewish butcher use to prepare kosher meat. Is this something you avoid too?

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Actually, I just copied and pasted the video title. Lion decided to 'fix' it for me.
    I didn't know it was happening until today, but I will avoid it.
    Is there anyway to know how your meat was slaughtered by looking at the package?

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I don't know. Where in the world do you live?

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Missouri, United States.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

To be fair to Muslims and not single them out for this barbaric practice, the same methods are used for kosher slaughter.

There's nothing I love more than a juicy, rare piece of steak, but I like to know it was killed as humanely as possible.

9. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Seems like a state with a lower than average Asian and Jewish population. You probably won't be eating Kosher/Halal if you avoid specifically marked foods.

If you eat pork, it definitely won't be Kosher/Halal ;)

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I'm from Missouri as well and grew up in a (non-Kosher keeping) Jewish household, and you won't be finding kosher/halal meat in the meat department of your local grocery store. If you want kosher/halal meat, you have to go to special butcher shops and restaurants will clearly mark anything as such. It's pretty much impossible to unknowingly eat kosher or halal meat in Missouri.

On a side note, Missouri, at least St. Louis, has a sizable Jewish population, but it's mostly reform Jews who do not keep kosher. There are a handful of orthodox and Hasidic Jews, but not a percentage like you'd find in New York. Hell, even my conservative Jewish grandpa eats pork.

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

No one can resist the bacon. It is magical food.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Typically any meat which is kosher or halal is very conspicuously marked as such on the label. And like yg17 says, you're pretty much not going to find fresh cuts that are kosher or halal unless you go looking for them - you could find things like cold cuts, franks, and other processed meats that are.

In the days when these religious doctrines were written, a swift stroke across the neck of the animal was the fastest and most humane way to kill it; I'm not familiar with what the Quran says about it, but I believe Jewish law (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) selects this method of slaughter because it was the most humane method of the time.

It may take some doing to undo thousands of years of religious tradition and ritual, but for now that's how the animals are killed in order to be considered fit for consumption under those doctrines.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you honestly think any meat is killed humanely?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhlhSQ5z4V4
    That's from California and I'm pretty sure it's not one of the evil Halal or Kosher processes.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's also not a typical slaughter. As the video clearly pointed out, those animals are either sick or injured, and cannot stand or walk.

I'm not saying it's okay, but you cited an example that's FAR from a typical kill.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And lets not talk about battery farming, which while efficient, isn't exactly known for its lack of cruelty.

16. awmazz macrumors 65816

Soon. They'll be growing muscle tissue in vats within our lifetimes I reckon.

Which is a good thing I think. No more meat farms, so all that land can be given over to more productive crops or returned to nature.

I can. Not for religious purposes but after meeting a pig and realizing they are intelligent like a dog. I feel extremely uneasy at the thought of eating pork products now unless it's unrecongnizeable like in a sausage or salami or suchlike. Slices of ham or strips of bacon etc which are clear as to what they are are definitely no go for me now.

17. codymac macrumors 6502

Mmmmm.... sacrilicious!
    :D

OP, seriously, is this the first time you've heard of this? Have you ever heard of a captive bolt gun?

Stones, glass houses, & delicious, savory steaks.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If he saw "No Country for Old Men", he saw one in action!

Kosher/halal is pretty disgusting and I avoid it at all costs. Costco used to sell kosher hot dogs until that kosher butchering place in Iowa got shut down because it was a germ-ridden, filthy place. Costco specifically stopped selling them because they were unable to find a reliable and clean source for kosher dogs.

Things may have changed since then.