meeting someone tomorrow to possibly sell iphone, how did you do it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shanewilliams, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Its a bunch of threads out there about how to get your iphone ready to sell, but i havent seen one like this yet.

i listed my iphone for sale locally, a woman wants to buy it as a gift for her husbands birthday. she is going to meet me tomorrow to possibly buy the phone but of course i need to get my info off of it tonight or at least tomorrow before i meet up with her. so how do i do this? of course she will want to verify that it works. i was planning on restoring as new and popping my sim card out. ive never done this before so will she be able to navigate through the iphone and verify that it works?? im guessing that it will just say insert sim card or something to that effect?? also, would it be better to go ahead and do the erase all settings on the iphone tonight, restore as new with my sim in it where i can still use it tomorrow(i dont have another phone to put my sim card in) and then when im on my way to meet her tomorrow, hook it up to my laptop and restore as new again and pop the sim card out?? am i on the right track??

2. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Cash, at the bank. Exchange phone for cash. Deposit cash.

3. ripper998 macrumors regular

did this too mine a week ago.

You want to do a full reset in the settings menu of the phone. It will take like 20-60 minutes depending on how full it is and the size. Once that is done, you should see the "Connect to itunes" on the main screen, and thats it! Take out your sim card and your good to go! One thing I did do however was take my sim card with me so I could show them that it was functioning, it was a good thing I did as he did want to see that.

4. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Borrow a phone (relatives?), reset iPhone through iTunes. Take out your sim. Done!

5. Mercaptan macrumors regular

Coffee shop, brought a friend, saw the cash, showed the phone off, got the cash, checked the cash with a pen and UV, wiped the phone, popped the SIM, handed over the phone, made some nice conversation with the guy buying the phone.

Went over very smooth.

6. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

7. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Restore the iPhone, when it ask's you to restore as new or backup unplug your iPhone from the computer.

Make sure you log out of your iTunes account under settings>app store

Meet up at starbucks, they have camera's :)

8. Shanewilliams thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, sounds like the best idea ive heard yet! let me make sure im on the same page as you though...basically take the phone with me the way it is right now, with everything still on it. let the test it, make a call, whatever....when they hand me the cash and i make sure its good money, go to erase all settings and content, hit the button and walk into the apple store?? once its started erasing, theres no stopping it, is it??

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

If we are in the same city, I could come hold your hand.

10. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Don't do it that way. Erase it before you go. You don't want to take any chances, and it wouldn't be that hard to restore a backup if it falls through.

11. Shanewilliams thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wish you were here to do that for me!! that would make my day!

12. Shanewilliams thread starter macrumors 6502a

so my best bet is to go ahead and erase all content tonight, restore as new where i can use it tomorrow and then when im on my way to meet her, restore as new again? i can set it up to restore as new when i get in the car and let it do its thing. then pop the sim out when i get there because it cant activate without internet and i dont have that in my car!

13. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

I sold my iPhone 2G off Craigslist on June 8th. Restore first. Met the buyer at a donut shop. Done deal. Cool kid too. About 20-years old and could easily be my younger homie (I'm 29). He had funny names with his email. Mike Hawk. Eric Shin. Sound it out.

Always go to a public setting. When I sold my Nintendo DS Lite to a mother buying it for a her daughter, the transaction was fast. Within an hour from the first email. Could have been sooner. Met them at the closest public library with a police station next door, and she handed the cash fast after turning it on to see if it works. Felt like a drug dealer with a backpack with exception of paranoia that I wasn't selling anything illegal. Always sell it with people around.

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

Mines took about an hour or so. An 8gig almost filled up and jailbroken.

16. KingHuds macrumors 6502

Just restore it as new and activate it using your SIM, you don't need to do another restore after that, just don't use it for texting or email or calls.