Megyn Kelly is out...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Oct 25, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Supposedly with a severance package of $69 million! Oh, poor Megyn :rolleyes:

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

It probably wasn't this singular incident, but her overall tone. Diet Fox News rhetoric doesn't work on NBC. I figured she could be a moderate conservative voice for the network and the Today show, but old habits die hard I guess.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The problem is that moderate conservatives vote for Hilary.

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Diana Ross was a great looking lady and an icon in the industry. When society has gotten to a point where it's seen by some within society as politically incorrect to dress up as her on Halloween, etc. and is seen as "racist" then I they need to look up what the definition of racist is and label themselves as stupid.

NBC made another stupid one-sided decision.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Dressing up like is different than putting on blackface.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well I mean she had a contract and didn't do anything to violate the terms of it. Just because the higher ups were getting heat from their cocktail party circle doesn't justify not honoring some of it.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

For real? :eek:

I would beg my employer to fire me and hand me triple my salary on the way out. I’d take that deal right this second. :D

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I guess it's okay if it's for entertainment purposes. Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder or John Wayne in The Conqueror*.

*Worst movie ever. Ghengis Khan speaking with a Southern drawl?o_O Weird costumes straight out of Dr. Suess.:eek: Don't get me started on the historical inaccuracy.:oops:

11. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Joy Reid the homophobe is still employed.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In case anyone has any doubts about this, the answer to the question "Is it OK to put on blackface?" is: Never. Not as a joke. Not on a dare. Not because you were drunk. Not because you wanted to look like Michael Jordan or Wesley Snipes. Never.

It's sorta like wearing your Swastika-draped Waffen SS uniform. Don't. Unless you are playing a part in a big-budget historical motion picture (you know, the kind with producers, and grips, and a craft services table) don't.

I should note: Neither wearing blackface, nor wearing nazi uniform, will get you arrested. Here in the US we have the First Amendment, which gives you the right to be an idiot. But doing either of those things will inevitably result in well-deserved condemnation from pretty much the entire rest of society that isn't either a racist or a nazi.

Make life easy on yourself: No blackface. No swastikas. Find some other way to be "edgy" and provocative.

13. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Dear god, really? I hope I never watch this film, ok I will NEVER watch this film on purpose. I saw a pretty good film some years ago called Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan - joint Russian/Kazak/Mongolian film that I really enjoyed. Granted Genghis Khan was played by a Japanese actor but come on-John Wayne???? :rolleyes:

14. raqball macrumors 68000

If a black person puts on whiteface is that also racist? Or are only white people racist?

15. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Is there a history of black entertainers putting on whiteface to mock white people?

16. raqball macrumors 68000

Yes (your mocking comment is bogus though) and not what I asked.....

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

White Chicks. Also a terrible movie.

18. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I wasn't mocking you, I was asking a question.

We owned blacks as slaves and segregated them from society. And then we had performers in blackface mocking them. So you can see how it's a different situation :)

19. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

The news is no place for sexual harassment or insensitive racial comments. The news is for ignorant extreme conspiracy theories that incite hatred and violence, the current cornerstone of our country.

20. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Oh, believe it.
    Then there was Yul Brynner as King Mongkut in The King and I… Alec Guinness as King Faisal (and later as Professor Godbole)… and really taking the biscuit, Mickey Rooney — Mr Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffanys.

21. raqball macrumors 68000

I didn't think you were mocking me... Your comment about mocking has nothing to do with this thread or dressing up for Halloween.

If someone is doing it to mock then I agree it's racist and wrong..

Kelly no longer has a show because she advocated wearing blackface to intentionally mock blacks?

22. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I'll admit, this is racist. They made this movie as a form of "payback" for blackface, and they intentionally mocked white people. So it's not okay.

Again though, if black people want to dress up as a white celebrity, it's a different situation because whiteface doesn't have the history blackface does.

23. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Arrgggh, Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favourite films and Alec Guinness was, in defence of David Lean, a great actor. At least they had Omar Sharif on the ticket.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Are you kidding? The movie was hilarious!

To be fair Megyn was commenting on someone dressing up as Diana Ross on Halloween and darkening their skin and she thought it wasn't racist. Dressing up as Diana Ross isn't the same as doing "blackface" which is obviously offensive. I think her point was that dressing up to honor ones hero isn't the same as dressing in blackface to mock a certain race.

Some people here and the execs at NBC don't understand the nuance and difference between the two, but political correctness has now brought us to a point where someone has to lose their job over something like this.

This isn't progress.

25. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I’m not sure why Kelly thought it would be appropriate to make comments defending blackface. Obviously such statements would not go over well.

I’m not sure she deserves to lose her job over this. Despite her comments being wrong and misguided, I don’t think she intended to be offensive. That said, her judgement regarding statements around race are questionable. Like the whole Santa is white diatribe from several years ago.