Melbourne cafe introduces male tax

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fitshaced, Aug 7, 2017.

1. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...gest-gender-pay-gap-surcharge-for-men/8782014

I’m all for equal pay but this is a bad way to bring attention to the issue in my opinion. Obviously I won’t be a customer of this cafe but if I happened to go in with a friend, it would be a bit insulting to me as it would target me as part of the problem (I’m male). I don’t arrange for women to be paid less then me, how does targeting my pocket with an 18 percent surcharge help?

2. niploteksi macrumors regular

I suspect this would be illegal in many countries.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If you read the story it sounds like this was done in a tongue-in-cheek. On the one hand, it does raise awareness, but on the other hand many men are going to miss the point, and that's not productive. As for women having priority seating, that sounds very much like the manners taught in the US South when I was growing up. I still walk curb side of women (and kids and old people)...

4. fitshaced thread starter macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I think this encourages more division than equality. A man must give up his seat? Forget it. I would let a woman on or off the lift in front of me as that has been taught and I see nothing wrong with it. A number of years ago I was walking out of a pub and was a bit distracted but a woman behind me said just loud enough for me to hear ‘ladies first’, making the point that I didn’t let her leave ahead of me. I guess I normally would but I don’t think it should just be assumed by the woman that a man would. I think equality works both ways. Something that’s even written on their chalkboard and yet they don’t seem to believe it themselves. Women deserved the same respect, entitlement and pay as men. They shouldn’t expect more respect just because they have less pay. I don’t pay them.

5. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I have no problem with them doing whatever they want in their business as long as the policy is prominently displayed at the entrance so I have the option to not use their business.

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Exactly..... except that wedding cake bakeries that refuse to make cakes for gay couples get sued for that stuff. ;)

7. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think it should go both ways and that the business should decide whom to serve.

Note: Why would gay couples or anyone else want / trust a cake from someone that doesn't want to serve them ? I would be afraid of what they did to the cake (same as getting a food server mad at you in a restaurant).

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

It's ok as we can afford it. :eek:
    Hope it's a waitress instead of a waiter so we can leave less of a tip:eek:

I would also like to thank all the COs that have hired me instead of women even though it cost more to employ me :D

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

[​IMG]
    WOW! NOW THAT'S HOW YOU MAKE A FALSE EQUILAVENCY!!

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I admit I haven't looked into this much; but how much of the gender pay imbalance is down to women working less hours on average?

It's not uncommon for women to work part time once they begin to have children. In my field, this is the biggest source of pay disparity. Some female physicians seem to feel they should receive equal annual pay even though they work 0.5 FTE or less.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Hmm Us australia they are separate and don't share the same laws.