Mellissa McCarthy as Spicer. Nailed it!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Feb 5, 2017.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

at least trump will keep us entertained while we cry about our loss if self

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Neither this nor the opening by Baldwin were funny. Then again I should note I've never found SNL to be amusing. I can understand some humorous jabs at the administration or their supporters, but it's incredibly silly in the long run. This is the type of behavior that spans decades. Continuously humiliating people like this comes off as a bit elitist. You've stopped being a human being and criticizing an administration and its followers logically and resort to constantly attack them for their personal faults, and not the stupid decisions they make.

In other words, running with the same gag all the time is akin to beating a dead horse. It becomes lame fast.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Oh please. All SNL has done was go after stupid decisions. If you can't laugh at this train wreck what's left to live for.

6. Zenithal macrumors 68040

You're missing the point. The gags get old fast. Focus on getting your side into office in 2020 and ousting the sycophants who believe in party before country and masquerading as politicians. Humor is nice and all, but it doesn't win you office. Nor does rioting. I'm fine with protesting. But burning or breaking things is childish.

Trust me when I say this train wreck isn't something one can easily avoid by watching comedy. Even my monthly ritual of smoking pork shoulder and ribs has been ruined.

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

My side used to be the republicans before they went all ******* crazy.

8. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Same here. I've abstained from voting twice now. I can't bear the current state of Republican ideals that's been in a downward spiral going on two decades now and the Democrats can't put up a real righter. Well, except 1st term Obama. 2nd term was abysmal but no one had the spirit with what the GOP was offering. Every one of them cared more about the party.

Really similar to musical chairs if you think about it. I'd laugh if SNL got Guy Busey to play Bannon, albeit with makeup to make him look clinically obese, like Bannon.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You pretty much said it all with, "I've never found SNL to be amusing."

If you don't get political and social satire, then that's fine.

Most of us do. (that's why the show has been around for 20+ years)

10. Zenithal macrumors 68040

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Have you looked at Congress, the bar can't get much lower.

12. Zenithal macrumors 68040

You know, when I was a kid, the dream to aspire and become a politician to help people in your community was just about the best thing in the world or so it seemed. Politics has changed a lot since then and it isn't an idealistic job. When your own city council starts taking plays out of the congressional handbook, you know your country as a whole has reached new lows.

We're two weeks into this mess and I can't imagine what could be in store for the public over the next four years. What could they do that they haven't done yet? Lynch a black man on the front lawn?

13. CE3 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure every president in my lifetime has been made fun of on SNL. Trump's the only one who can't take the heat.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Old enough to remember this ...

15. CE3 macrumors 6502a

I was a Reagan era baby, but I've seen that before.

I guess this means even Nixon had a better sense of humor than Trump. We're in trouble.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I thought the opening was good. She's funny and agree with many here that the over the top satire is a welcomed relief regardless of what side you're on. If you can't laugh at yourself or with others then perhaps another beer or cocktail before watching will help. Although not if you're an angry drunk...

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So do the real-life things that the gags are based on!

I thought this skit was excellent though. It showed how ridiculous Spicer is for always being in angry mode. The contrast between angry Spicer, and friendly Earnest from the last administration is rather jarring.

18. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I have never watched SNL since it wasn't on any of the channels we had when I was younger and I don't watch TV now. Can you link to the most biting satire SNL has pointed at Obama (viewable outside of the US). I gave a quick google but many are blocked or just videos Obama is present in (sometimes actually) as opposed to being the target of the satire.

19. MaulRx Suspended

They are going easy on him too.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

http://ijr.com/2014/11/206878-new-h...ama-schoolhouse-rock-parody-bill-becomes-law/

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2014/10/04/snl-mocks-obama-for-isis-secret-service/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/29/saturday-night-live-mocks-obamacare-in-hilarious-skit/

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As I rarely watch SNL, I can't answer which is the most "biting" satire.

However, if you go to youtube and search: SNL+Obama+skit there is page after page of skits. Surely some of them must skewer Obama in one way or another.

I don't have the time or desire to sit through them finding one you'd find suitably biting.

But they are out there, if you have the desire to find out for yourself.

22. samiwas macrumors 65816

It's been around over 40 years. That's twice as bigly.

And every week, 30 billion people watch it. Period.

23. MaulRx Suspended

Just imagine the crying after his first Correspondents' diner. If he even goes through with it. There is a rumor that the press is going to boycott it first.

24. SusanK macrumors 68000

Oh, no. If it goes that way we will be subject to two weeks of WH alternative facts that POTUS boycotted first and biggest.

25. MaulRx Suspended

He'd miss his standing ovation lol