"Members of Congress Are Underpaid,’ Can’t Afford to ‘Live Decently"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Apr 3, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Talk about out of touch. These clowns make $174,000 for a part time job with perks galore.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/dem-...s-are-underpaid-cant-afford-to-live-decently/

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ha ! I could just go to D.C 4 times a year for $100k. I'd probably do a better job too.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I believe it wa a few months or a couple of years ago (can't remember the timeframe) a couple of celebrities or well-known people had decided to live for a week or a month or so, below the poverty line, to stress the fact of how hard it is to live in those conditions.

Congress should do the same, and see how they like it. In fact, we have yet to see them reduce their annual salary since the 27th Amendment was passed, if at all.

I would love to see a handful of them pull a Zuckerberg, Jobs, Brin, or Page, and drop their salary to $1 for, let's even call it 6 months, and see how they like it.

In fact, they've been crying about deficits, national debts, and cutting spending; we have yet to see them cut their salary to contribute to the solution. When they do that, they'll have clout to say that they are living harsh, or near the equivalent to the poorest of their constituents.

I'm not just talking Blues and Reds here; Congress, POTUS, and vPOTUS included. At least SCOTUS is working.

BL.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just heard the other day on the radio that D.C. was one of the most expensive cities when it comes to housing. And a representative is likely going to keep their home in their district.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I instinctively think members of Parliament should be paid more. But the big problem is how much time they have to spend fundraising - and paying them more won't solve that.

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe we need government housing for our elected representatives as part of their compensation. Let's build them some low income housing and fund it by reducing a Congressman's $1 million annual stipend to run his office and the $3 million a Senator gets.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well with all the free gifts and kickbacks and bribing they are all millionaires I bet :D

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They're complaining they can't afford to live in DC on that salary, yet there is no mention of their staff.

That would actually make sense if budget effectively. Either way they're grossly exaggerating. There are many people who live in DC on far less.

10. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

if I remember right most are millionaires anyway.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There you go.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

The problem with that idea is corporations would stampede to donate goods and services to build and maintain the housing, just to make sure the eventual residents knew who was looking out for their welfare. And some day, they will come to those residents and ask a small favor in return.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

More than a 1/3rd of the Freshman House Members sleep in their offices. Washington DC is one of the highest cost of living areas in the country. If you think $174,000 is going to last long when you have to travel back and forth to your district, maintain two households and keep all those suits pressed... You are very mistaken.

14. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

In a sense, I think we should give them all the money they could possibly want so they can't be corrupted by lobbyists.

I could see that getting out of hand pretty quickly, but maybe not? If money wasn't an issue they'd have no reason to be interested in anything the lobbyists could offer lol.

15. bmt134 macrumors 6502

Boo ***** hoo.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Actually a Congressman HAS to keep their home in their district/state. We've recently had a couple get into trouble over this.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

[shrug]

I understand that U.S. reps aren't popular, but maintaining two residences is an economic reality for most of them. I do like the idea of building some dormitory like housing for congressmen and staff members and give them that for "free" and the option to pay out of pocket if that isn't suitable for them.

18. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

All I am going to say on this subject is this. I will use the same argument I have heard about teachers wanting increased pay. They chose that profession and knew what it paid going into it...

That is all, won't see me again on this topic.. :)

19. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Im rather liking this idea. Although its $1 + company performance (stock value), so this would need to be $1 + congressional performance. Some metric that actually translates to useful work (not just # of bills or days sitting at a desk). And cover logging and travel separately as part of an 'expenses' package.

Its a worthy goal. Get influential money out of politics by feeding in public money. I don't have a link handy, but theres some insane ROI for lobbying and contribution expenses. From the standpoint of the national treasury, that equals insane losses. We could pay 2M per year per rep and still come out ahead. Add in some term limits and presto!

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

If you can't live on $174,000, you are doing it very, very wrong and living way, way above anyone's means. You are a financial idiot, actually. And the fact that you make the rules and laws of this country is scary at best.

There are hundreds of homes for sale right inside DC for under $400,000. And no one says you have to live in a $400,000 house, especially when it's a part-time house.

My grandfather was a small-time farmer, and managed to have a nice condo in his home city, a beachfront condo in Florida, and a big lakehouse in Arkansas. My father, who doesn't make anywhere near $174k, now has his hometown country-club condo, and two beachfront condos.

90% of Americans live on less than half of that. If you can't do it, you are a moron. To say that this guy has even the remotest of points is ludicrous.

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

So we should be responsible for their poor financial management? If you can't survive on 174k, then choose another line of work that pays more. This congressman has some serious cojones to imply that he needs a raise. I'm actually pretty shocked by your view on this as a staunch conservative.

22. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Those leaders could justify a $1 salary since they had more value in stock than could be spent in a lifetime.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

My point is that $174,000 sounds like a lot of money until you start factoring in the expenses. You still have your mortgage, utilities, taxes, etc. back in your home district but now you have to add a second set of that into the equation, of course most do not buy in DC because it could only be a two year job. If you have children they are still going to school in your home district.

Then factor in the trips back and forth to your district. Price round trip tickets across the country. That could be another five hundred to a thousand a week.

Instead of being envious of the big number do the math.

Now, they know what the salary is and choose to run for it. So, just like the person that goes to work for Walmart and them complains about the wage, too bad.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Do they pay out of pocket for flights? My grandmother worked in DC and they were expensed.

I think congress should work at 3x minimum wage. Tie their salaries to the bottom tier of society. Life in prison for any corruption.

25. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Your position here seems at odds with the vast majority of your posts.

Air travel for Congress is paid for by us. Let's also not forget they get subsidized health insurance, great pensions, are exempt from many laws, get subsidized meals and dry cleaning, free haircuts, free parking at DC airports, subsidized gym, free doctor visits to the legislature attending physician and all those fact finding missions they take with their families all over the world. There are lots more.

Cry me a ducking river.