Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arielle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Columbia University
Hi- I am shopping for extra memory for my 17" Titanium Powerbook G4. I see vendors selling both 512mHz/ 1Ghz versions for my computer. I thought that this computer would be maxed out at 1Ghz? I have the 512 that the machine came with. Is it possible to expand it by 1Ghz MORE, for a total of 1.5 Ghz?
Thanks.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by jesuisme
For the Titanium PB, I think the maximum memory spec is 1GB, with 512MB on two DIMMs. Here's a link to the manual:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/powerbooks/0342010.Book.PDF

Be sure to read some of the other posts on buying memory. Have fun :)

You cannot make a recommendation based on the fact that there is no 17" TiBook.

Let's just say it was a AlBook 17" Powerbook. That means you probably got one 512 MB chip. You could add a 1 GB chip for the total of 1.5 GB you were looking for.

Most importantly I must recommend going to the System profiler. (Click on the apple in the top left-hand corner, go to about this Mac, click more info, and then look at the Memory overview area. Also, see picture.)

Attachments

• picture 7.jpg
    picture 7.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 320

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
everymac.com might be of help, granted, some of their stuff is a little outdated, but still very useful

Arielle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Columbia University
well then...

I'm still very confused: can I or can't I install another Gig of juice to my drive!? If not, then may I only install another 512mHz? Lemme know; I'd like to get my Hanukkah presents during the holiday so I may defray the costs of my technological expansions... ;)

Arielle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Columbia University
not Titanium-

So, yer telling me my baby is the 2nd-hand aluminum one, and there's no such thing as a Mac 17" Titanium!? wow, that's alot to swallow. I knew the Titanium scratched easier, and believe me, mine's got a BIg one... but i liked the fact (just for snob's sake) that it was titanium. what's the story!?

Oh yeah, so it's got 512mhz... to what can i extend it to, total? someone please gimme a straight answer! My 17" bitch just isn't multitasking the way she could!

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Re: not Titanium-

Originally posted by Arielle
So, yer telling me my baby is the 2nd-hand aluminum one, and there's no such thing as a Mac 17" Titanium!? wow, that's alot to swallow. I knew the Titanium scratched easier, and believe me, mine's got a BIg one... but i liked the fact (just for snob's sake) that it was titanium. what's the story!?

Oh yeah, so it's got 512mhz... to what can i extend it to, total? someone please gimme a straight answer! My 17" bitch just isn't multitasking the way she could!

first off, aluminum is not a second rate powerbook, they are all of that material now. titanium was only in the previous design for the 15" pbook. there is no way you have a 17" titanium powerbook, they do not exist.

secondly, it's 512 MB not mhz when describing ram, just to clarify

thirdly, it was my understanding (based on things i have read about my own 17") that the specs for a rev. A, 1 GHz model and for the current 1.33 GHz model have different max ram listed (1gig and 2 gigs respectively). apple lists the max ram based on the chips available upon release, so the 1 GB max is because with two slots each with 512 you get a full gig; 1 GB ram cards were rare/ridiculously expensive in jan. 02. now apple supports the use of these larger capacity SODIMMs and thus the max ram is double what it was. but the motherboards ability to hold over 1 GB of ram was always there. I have read that the actual amount the motherboard can handle is 4 GB ( might be wrong, but it's at least 2). the trouble is that if you exceed the max listed by apple for your machine there may be problems getting service from apple if the need arises because you have an unsupported configuration.

i hope that helps, and i too hope I can one day go over a gig of ram in my 17" pbook (not now, the sticks are too much $$) let us know if you try it :)

Arielle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Columbia University
THANKS~!

Wow, thanks, guys! I love this messageboard; everyone is so knowledgeble and helpful.
Have a good holiday, all of you!

>=--Arielle--->

Arielle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Columbia University
Ok, shopping $ discrepancies

Sorry- more questions! :

I am looking from Ramseeker.com for viable purchases and I'm seeing, for 1GB sticks prices ranging from $175-$500 FOR SUPPOSEDLY THE SAME THING... would this one work?:

MAL3364U/512/Q2B-2_
1GB(512X2) DDR 333 FOR APPLE POWERBOOK G4 ALUMINUM
FOR THE 17 INCH VERSION ONLY $175.00 $175.00

if so, why is it so cheap and why are other ones sooo expensive?

http://www.18004memory.com/category.asp?catid=9&subcatid=901

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
How about you click the apple menu, about this mac, then more information. If you could take a screenshot, post it, it would help us all a lot. Get a picture like the one the previous poster put up.

Arielle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Columbia University
Here Goes...

Man, I had a feeling that was for a total memory through 2 sticks (the better-priced ones).
Here's the screenshot- probly what you expected, right? With one 512 stick and an empty. So what am I going to be looking at spending (and possibly, where?) for a Gig single stick?
Cheers.

Attachments

• system profile.jpg
    system profile.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 210

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
What exactly do you do with your PB? Unless you are doing heavy-duty editing or something, you should be more than happy with another 512MB stick.

Arielle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Columbia University
Lotsa stuff.

I do digital imaging/ layout. But I'm going to start getting into 3D Maya Æ, as well as multi-layer sound composing/ editing: Protools, Logic, etc.
I just want to make sure I'll have the ability to do these efficiently. I also like to be able to run multiple apps. I'm finding that just running some basic ones (IE, Messenger, Itunes, Photoshop, and a small image program like Graphic Converter) it doesn't switch apps as smoothly as I'd like. So how much more so with bigger programs??
But you're right, for the $500 they want for a 1 GB stick, I'd just as soon get the 512MB for $100 and wait for the one Gig's price to drop... I was just checking out the options.
Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• baldme.jpg
    baldme.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 244

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Ok, after a quick check at crucial.com your powerbook, the aluminium 17" (one hell of a machine) can support 2 GB of ram. 1 gig in each slot. So you can up your total to 1 gig or 1.5 gig depending on what you put in that slot. I would say go for 512, 1 gig total is a ton, and although those apps take a lot of ram, $500 for a 1 gig memory stick is a little extreme. Crucial had the 512 for $125, much easier to swallow. In theroy, any PC2700 DDR SO-DIMM would work too. Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.