Memory RAM Upgrade to 2GB, But I Want 4GB? (Macbook Supports It?)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Nov 29, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have the following Macbook:

MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) MA700LL/A Laptop/Notebook

On the CRUCIAL website i'm told I can upgrade from 1GB of memory to 2GB tops.

...But i'd love 4GB. Anyway to accomplish this or am I stuck at the 2GB limit?

I'm asking now as I'm planning on purchasing more memory today. With the Macbook i'm on now, and regards with the Crucial test, I'm told each of the 2 memory slots can hold up to 1GB each, totaling 2GB. Right now I have 512MB in each...

So...Can I Get 4GB or just get the 2GB?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Apple says the max RAM on this machine is 2GB, but third-parties have been "unofficially" able to upgrade it to 3 GB or 4 GB of RAM (it can hold 4 GB but cannot fully utilize the memory beyond 3 GB).

Check this page out from MacSales (aka OWC).
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Memory_Benchmark/Apple_MacBook/

Unless you need every bit of RAM in your MacBook, I'd say you should just stick with getting 2GB RAM. You can go for the 4GB RAM now and when you get a new machine, just move the sticks to the new machine with no problems. Of course, in this MacBook you'll only get to utilize 3.3GB. It just comes down to whether you think it's worth the money. If money is no object, then go for the 4GB. This way you can move them in case you upgrade to a new iMac, MacBook, or MacBook Pro

3. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I installed 4 GB of RAM in my MacBook Core 2 Duo. The system reads 4 gigs but I think it can only utilize 3.3. Here is a screen shot of my About This Mac:

Attached Files:

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Interesting.

So in actuality I can purchase 4GB and my Macbook will utilize 3GB of the RAM. Will it show 3.3 or 4GB being utilized on my Mac or do I just have to take the website's word?

I don't think I'd mind purchasing 4GB only because I can probably purchase it for the normal price 2GB would be under.

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

OS X will show you that 4GB is installed, but due to the chipset (32-bit accessing the memory) only ~3.3GB can be used.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Thanks for your help.

One Final Question

Is there a big difference between 2GB & 3.3GB? Is the gap substantial? What about concerning 2GB and the 1GB I have now?

With my Macbook I'll have Firefox, iTunes, Mail, iCal and here & there other apps open at times...like say, iChat, iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband...respectively for the most part.

After I purchase my High Def Camcorder I plan on doing a lot of editing within iMovie and music making on Garageband. Soon after I plan on getting Final Cut Express to do more serious editing. (Everyone needs a hobby right? :D)

As for now probably the most extensive stuff is having 20 tabs open within Firefox at any given time.

7. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

The difference from going from 1GB to 2GB is pretty substantial. But going from 1GB to 4GB (actually 3.3GB) is really substantial. This will help with the beach balls that pop up whenever you have a bunch of apps and tabs open. But when it comes to the video editing, the CPU becomes the most important piece of hardware. Max out on RAM and enjoy the performance. I'm sure you'll notice it big time!

8. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I'm running 4 GB RAM and still get the beach balls when I'm doing complex things like writing in text edit and moving my mouse around :(