"Men's rights" divorce attorney charged with beating his wife

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jan 3, 2016.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Imagine that mens rights always seem mean hate on woman.
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...urce=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

His career took an abrupt turn eh?

at least he didn't shoot her..... ;)

3. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Is this supposed to be funny? It's not. It's disgusting.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Somebody has been charged with domestic abuse?

Good to know that Steve is around to start a thread. :D

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Next: man seen picking his nose in Poughkeepsie.

6. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Silly me to start threads I should just go forever on the same subjects it was that he was one of the idiots promoting men as persecuted people only to prove he was a thug. Silly me I should have posted how guns and God are great silly me.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I doubt this surprises you. Social just causes (ironically) often attract some really ****** people.

8. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Irony.

9. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

He's set Male-ism back 20 years, the bloke is an idiot, I take it he will lose his job, as he should.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When it comes to divorce cases, men usually are a persecuted people. They're often stuck with BS alimony payments and custody of children is almost always awarded to the mother. Just because this guy's an abusive prick doesn't mean that the cause isn't valid.

11. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

This is one of those few laws that is applicable the world over, I believe in equal rights for both male and female but I also believe the male always gets shafted in divorce settlements. I know someone who divorced his wife because she was an alcoholic and had many problems including neglecting her kids and she still got custody over him whom is a good man and is a good father.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I know someone who was in a similar predicament. His wife was basically a fatter, uglier version of Peggy Bundy. She didn't work, she didn't cook or clean or do anything except sit on her ass and watch TV. He had to come home after working two (I think at one point he was up to 3) jobs and then prepare dinner for their two kids and do all the laundry and housework in his precious little time off. Naturally, the marriage ends in a divorce. He has no money and can only hire the cheapest lawyer. Her family has millions and gets her the best lawyer there is. She ends up with full custody, he has to pay her alimony until she remarries or dies, even though she inherited her parents' fortune and doesn't need it, and he gave her child support while the kids were under 18 but she never spent a dime of it on them. But the payments have him so broke that he couldn't afford a lawyer to take her ass back to court.

13. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I'm not clear, what in post #1 was represented as being funny, by the link or the OP?

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The reason most women get custody has come about as a result of a number of historical hangovers to do with a mixture of gender, preference, power and economics.

Thus, 1) traditionally, women were left holding the baby irrespective of whether the man stayed or left, 2) traditionally, women sacrificed - or were in some cases compelled to sacrifice careers, and any opportunity of economic independence as they were expected to devote all of their time and resources to raising a family, 3) historically, the 'family' unit was defined as property - women and children were seen in law and in the eyes of society as the property of the father, and his role was to provide for them.

We all know of cases where interpretations of domestic law which were designed to protect the family unit unjustly favoured an opportunistic and selfish woman and penalised a caring and supportive father. However, equally, we all know of cases where families needed to be protected from the physical presence of controlling and abusive men while structures to maintain the family, such as child support, - and to continue to provide financial stability for it - remain in place.

Many of these provisions - facilitating the mother as the caretaker of a family unit when marriages collapsed as her own economic means and independence - quite often deliberately - had been curtailed upon marriage and childbirth were designed to allow the family stability and financial security until the children grow up.

Mind you, I have been struck by the tine adopted by men's rights activists; it isn't just barely concealed misogyny - it is also resentment at losing control - control of finances, and control of family.

Over the years, on these fora, I have read a number of threads invariably started by guys who have asked whether their putative spouse, or future fiancée should - say, work for a while after marriage, or carry on at college with the disclaimer 'she'll be a stay-at-home mom because we are traditional about such things'.

If you are 'traditional' and if you plan to have a family, and have someone you are married to stay home to care for it, and be financially dependent on you, then, you pay the bills, all of them, and stop whinging about it. Children, once you have them, are not an optional extra. They are something you fund and finance until they are able to begin to navigate the world for themselves - so that usually means funding and financing them until their education comes to an end.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

EXPAT is becoming increasingly popular in those situations.

16. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I'm guessing you ignore certain posters, hence why that statement you quote appears to you to be directed to the OP. Maybe you don't even see this post...:oops:

17. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I read post 1 and then post 2. Who did I ignore? Saw nothing funny there so I asked. Don't you have better things to debate? :p

18. giantfan1224, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016

giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

By "ignore" I mean have certain posters on your ignore list so you don't see their posts. I'm guessing you don't see the post that ChrisWB quoted and therefore are missing the context.

FYI, the post you quoted is post #3 in the thread so if it's #2 for you then you don't see posts from pdggp.

This confused me for a while since the forum changed to the new format. If you put someone on your ignore list you not only don't see their posts, you don't see when they are quoted either so a reply to said quote loses context and is confusing.

19. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Oh... I do have at least one person on ignore, but i thought ignor posts are still displayed but are blank. I could be confused with the previous forum software. If they are completely absent than that could lead to confusion... Guess I missed a stupid post. ;)

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

nah, you are just avoiding those you can't handle..

21. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Where's the headline: "Woman Sets Feminism Back 20 Years by Allowing Man to Open Door for Her"??

Unfortunately some worthless men will continue to domestically abuse women. Nothing to see here.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

feminist sent women back when they held the stupid million slut march.

anyways, this guy is screwed.

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

I guess she deserved it, yeah?

24. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Is this the part of the thread where you make baseless and incendiary comments so you can later claim personal attacks???

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

Don't worry..... he doesn't have a point, he just wants to have a go at you personally....

Its trolling, you should report it as such.