Mental Illness In The Military On The Rise

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 15, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

cbs

glad to see our troops are "supported".

i recall one reason being so excited about gore in 2000 was that he took mental health seriously and said we had a long way to go, as a nation, in accepting mental health issues as real as physical ones. i'm willing to bet no real progress has been in the ensuing years, and i think this article supports that.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Looks like Viet Nam all over again. I'm sure Bush will give the vets the option to buy some sort of "stock" in their health care.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but, anyone who has fought for this country deserves at the very least, free healthcare for the rest of their lives. WTF?

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am a Vietnam Vet. I went through a lengthy period of 'readjusting'. Several weeks ago, I watched a documentary about the 'day in the life' of an Army Company deployed as police in Baghdad. It was grim to watch. The next Monday, I told my CEO I was going to work part-time in veteran out-reach. We are bringing home many young people and many will need friends to help them re-enter their lives. Since then, I have been studying the issue. Besides those with emotional problems, there are an estimated 10,000 ME vets, living in the streets of America.

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

1) Would you like to be a forest ranger?

. . Yes I would love to. :)

2) Would you like to be a fireman?

. . Yes I would love to. :)

3) Would you wear dark sunglasses to an indoor party?

. . No why? :confused:

Those are just some of the questions I would get on the military psych exams. I would ace the tests every time because the military would use the same generic tests as the institutions on the outside.

The ship's doctor would get so frustrated by my psychiatric prowess. :p

5. Queso macrumors G4

Sincerest congratulations for doing this. It's a similar situation here in the UK. The number of ex-military living on our streets is truly shameful.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is also the uspoken but probably serious question of what happens to the wives and husbands to whom these people return: my sister dealt for some time with the wives battered by Serbian and other soldiers returning from the various fronts of that conflict. Spouses dealing with a dehumanised partner can go through a horrific time.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I'd answer:

"Only if I was wearing a dark grey and was trying to freak people out"

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If our troops really were supported, they wouldn't have to say it as often as they do.

I was just reading a story about a woman who's husband, a Vietnam vet, had killed himself so she was working to make sure it didn't happen to any of the current vets. So far, it's been an uphill battle. Usually against those same people crying "support the troops".

I was trying to find it to post a link, but apparently it's been happening to far more people than I thought and I can't find the same story.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I find it disturbing the young people are encouraged to fight wars and sustain huge physical and mental damage when even a cursory glance at the history of combatants post conflict shows they will be essentially dumped and seen as a social problem to be swept under the carpet and ignored. It's disturbing that it has gone on all through recorded history and still they go,what gives evolutionary dead end or what?

"war to end all wars" my arse.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You are awesome, man. That is seriously cool. I donate to veterans groups annually, but what you're doing is truly amazing. Keep it it up- the world needs more people like you.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Color me impressed. Wish you all the best.