Menubar at the top of the TV screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Handle, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Handle macrumors regular

I just tried hooking my MacBook Air up to my LCD TV with a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. It worked, but I noticed that there is a menubar at the top of the TV screen and it stays there all the time, even when I put a video in full screen. I can click on the menubar on the laptop and it takes the menubar on the TV out of focus, but it's still there and annoying when watching a movie.

Is there any way to get rid of the menubar from the TV screen altogether? I don't need it on both the TV and the laptop screen.

2. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

I know a lot of people connect their laptops to their TVs in order to stream stuff. I can't imagine you all watch movies and shows with the menu bar at the top of the TV screen the entire time. I have a feeling something is messed up on my end.

3. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

I believe that's because your TV acts as a second monitor. Mavericks introduced this feature of having the menubar and dock visible on all monitors (it can be useful though).

You need to go to your Mission Control preferences and uncheck "Displays have separate Spaces" and voilà.

4. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, that is exactly the problem. I actually found this out the other day in another thread, but I appreciate your post.