Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
I'm not really into cars, but one of my coworkers pointed out that there was not one, but two of them parked close to where I work. One outside our shop and the other across the street.

Very nice looking - I must say that I was impressed. But for that kind of money...

Maybe if there's enough interest I'll post some pics of my coworkers posing next to it. The funny thing is that both got parking tickets for letting their meters expire! I guess they didn't want the free valet parking just down the street. Hmm, maybe they don't trust him ;)

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
Anyone can appreciate the design and engineering that goes into such vehicles. :cool: Pictures would be cool :)

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I'm not really into cars, but one of my coworkers pointed out that there was not one, but two of them parked close to where I work. One outside our shop and the other across the street.

Very nice looking - I must say that I was impressed. But for that kind of money...

Maybe if there's enough interest I'll post some pics of my coworkers posing next to it. The funny thing is that both got parking tickets for letting their meters expire! I guess they didn't want the free valet parking just down the street. Hmm, maybe they don't trust him ;)

I know someone who owns one. He let me drive it. I got out of the car and I said "so what happens when you drive this to starbucks in the morning and some grandma T bones you at the light?" and he said "I take out the 9mm in the glove compartment and shoot myself. It would be cheaper than trying to get another one of these."

That about sums up the ownership experience. For $450,000 before options and destination, well, I'd buy TWO SL65s, which are just as fast, convertible, and have the advantage of not being the size of a small yacht.

Greg_C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2005
USA
Here's some pics...

Saw the thread title and just had to share...I got to experience one in person! Unfortunately I wasn't old enough to drive any of the cars, but it was still an amazing time.
www.wcdriving.com

Attachments

• DSCF1176.jpg
    DSCF1176.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF1233.jpg
    DSCF1233.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1298.jpg
    DSCF1298.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF1299.jpg
    DSCF1299.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF1296.jpg
    DSCF1296.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 99

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Sweet looking car. I really wish it came in more than one color besides the silver.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Nice cars...

I drive past St. Louis's only Bentley/Maserati/Ferrari/Lamborghini/Every other expensive car I'll never be able to afford dealer every day on the way to and from work, and they always have an orange Murcielago out there that I drool at every time I go past. That's of course in addition to the assorted Bentleys and Ferraris, but damn, I love that car. Anyone want to buy me one? :D

pianoman181

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
My good friend's father owns one of those, in black. I've got a crappy cellphone pic if you're interested. This is I think his newest car of a collection of about 30 or 40. They're all incredibly old and valuable and include Aston Martins, Bentleys, Rolls Royces, Mercedes', and more. Very, very cool. He asked me if I wanted to take the SLR McLaren for a spin with him, but I refused to drive it... too much liability! lol

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Lol. If you're in that tax bracket, I'm sure you can afford whatever color your heart desires. I've seen a black one 'round these parts, which is a pretty sick car.

Sweet, although I have to wonder whether the engine compartment would be painted black as well?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
That about sums up the ownership experience. For $450,000 before options and destination, well, I'd buy TWO SL65s, which are just as fast, convertible, and have the advantage of not being the size of a small yacht.

just as fast in a straight line with a pro behind the wheel, maybe, but other than that the SLR is the fastest road car with the three pointed star on it.

AMG pumps out crazy horspower cars these days but they can't put all their power down and are a bit soft - the SLR doesn't suffer from those faults.

I've never really been too crazy about the SLR or the Porsche Carrera GT though...for half a million I'd like something a little wilder.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Anyone can appreciate the design and engineering that goes into such vehicles. :cool: Pictures would be cool :)

Yeah, even somebody like me who really isn't into cars can appreciate how great it looks. Pics don't really do it justice.

Here are my coworkers posing next to it. These were taken yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to download and resize them until now. The one across the street that I didn't take pics of was identical to this one except that it had black wheels with red trim, which gave it a nice contrast between the wheel and the tire.

And thanks to Greg_C for posting his pics also.

Aah, to think how many Mac toys and iPhones one could buy for that kind of money... I can dream, can't I???

Attachments

• mm1.jpg
    mm1.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 70
  • mm2.jpg
    mm2.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 101

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Yeah, even somebody like me who really isn't into cars can appreciate how great it looks. Pics don't really do it justice.

Here are my coworkers posing next to it. These were taken yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to download and resize them until now. The one across the street that I didn't take pics of was identical to this one except that it had black wheels with red trim, which gave it a nice contrast between the wheel and the tire.

And thanks to Greg_C for posting his pics also.

Aah, to think how many Mac toys and iPhones one could buy for that kind of money... I can dream, can't I???

Haha is that pic in Beverly Hills by chance?

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Haha is that pic in Beverly Hills by chance?

Yup, Beverly Hills a tourists paradise. Note that I said tourists and not shoppers, unless the prices don't bother you.

Heck, in this city most people pay more on their monthly auto insurance than what I earn annually :eek:

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
just as fast in a straight line with a pro behind the wheel, maybe, but other than that the SLR is the fastest road car with the three pointed star on it.

AMG pumps out crazy horspower cars these days but they can't put all their power down and are a bit soft - the SLR doesn't suffer from those faults.

I've never really been too crazy about the SLR or the Porsche Carrera GT though...for half a million I'd like something a little wilder.

The difference is the SL65 lays down the horsepower (and trust me, you can get all 612 out of it) in a driveable way. The SLR is twitchy twitchy to drive. It's stable, but very sensitive and has some pretty substantial torque understeer, while the SL65 is truly a drier's car and nothing but a pleasure. The SLR is a blast on a track or a drag strip but I ran an SL65 on a drag strip as an amateur driver with the AC and bun massagers on and turned in an 11.2 with no effort at all...felt like driving down the road, just at 115 mph.

The SLR I drove was dark red. My uncle has a murcielago and it's alright but the clutch engages wicked high...I much much much prefer his Ferarri for real driving. His daily driver is a CL600 and he also has the SL65 (which more often than not I can be found driving) and an SL550 for the wife.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
They are nice cars, just a shame we didn't get to see more pics of the DB9.

Hopes Mclaren release another car of their own, i.e a new F1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.