Mercury, a subsidiary of Ford closes shop 4Q this year

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://detnews.com/article/20100602/AUTO01/6020400/1148/rss25

While the article is brief those of us who follow the auto industry have seen many stories leading up to this, Mercury could be following Saturn and Pontiac into the dust bins of history.

While its a bit sad for some auto enthusiast the brand really hasn't had anything unique to it for a long time. Lincoln is getting a rebadge of the popular Ford Fusion hybrid so it takes away one feature Mercury had as it usually is grouped with Lincoln in dealerships.

Still if it makes Ford stronger in the end that is better for the economy and the US automotive industry as a whole.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/02/ford-kills-mercury-to-expand-lincoln/#comments

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I always thought that Mercury has become too overlapped with Lincoln and Ford models. Don't forget losing Oldsmobile and Plymouth several years ago.

3. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well lets see the US companeis seem to of formed way to many name plates for their companies with a lot of overlap.

It been high time that they started killing them off.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm surprised it took Ford this long to do it. Mercury's were typically Fords with a few bells and whistles added.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- this is no surprise at all.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What was the last mercury that was worth buying? My mom had an early 90's cougar, but it was a clone of the thunderbird, which was the better car.