[Merged] Attack on NW253 / Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab / New TSA Regulations

yg17

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
ModNote: Since the Community discussion thread has become predominantly about the same things as the PRSI thread, I went ahead and merged these. Hope that's okay --mkrishnan

For your daily dose of WTF:

A passenger set off firecrackers aboard a plane at Detroit Metropolitan Airport, causing a commotion and some minor injuries, a Delta Airlines official said Friday.

Delta Flight 253, an Airbus 330 carrying 278 passengers, was arriving in Detroit from Amsterdam when the incident took place Friday afternoon, said Delta spokeswoman Susan Elliott.

The passenger was immediately subdued, Elliott said. She had no details on injuries.

An FBI spokeswoman in Detroit said the incident was being investigated.

The pilot reportedly declared an emergency due to a smoke indicator alarm.

The flight landed at 12:01 p.m. ET, 21 minutes later than scheduled, according to the Northwest Web site.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34592031/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Simply more proof that fireworks should NOT be sold to the general public - most people are simply way too stupid! :(
So one guy lights fireworks on a plane and this means the massively overwhelming majority of the rest of us should not be allowed to by them? Interesting view.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
He deserves to go to jail for this IMO. That said there is little you can do to stop this happening occasionally.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
He deserves to go to jail for this IMO. That said there is little you can do to stop this happening occasionally.
Are you kidding me? Of course he deserves to go to jail. Jesus Christ. How is that even something that needs to be said? He deserves 40 years AT LEAST for that ****.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Are you kidding me? Of course he deserves to go to jail. Jesus Christ. How is that even something that needs to be said? He deserves 40 years AT LEAST for that ****.
Well I think Richard Reid got life in prison at Supermax. Now just about everyone in the world has to take off their shoes while going thru the security check point at the airport. I wonder BS we'll have to do now after they detail how this guy got these explosives onboard.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Unfortunately I can't find the link to the article that I read. Sorry.

But the article indicated a binary type device. Part A was strapped to his leg (which was a powder). He was in the process of introducing Part B (which was a liquid). The article also indicated that it was more of an incendiary type device rather than an explosive type device. Additionally, they mentioned something along the lines that it was an advance device.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/12/26/airline.attack.london/index.html
Counterterrorism officers are searching buildings in London in connection with the alleged terrorist attempt aboard a flight to Detroit, police said Saturday.

The officers were believed to be searching locations including an apartment block in central London, but a spokeswoman for the city's Metropolitan Police would not say specifically where and what they are looking for, or how many officers are involved.

She also said the police are making several inquiries at the request of U.S. authorities.

The FBI was interviewing a Nigerian man who allegedly ignited a small explosive device Friday shortly before a Northwest flight from Amsterdam, Netherlands, landed in Detroit.

A U.S. government official identified the suspect as Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 23. He was taken into custody and is being treated for second- and third-degree burns on his thighs, which he suffered after the device exploded, according to federal law enforcement and airline security sources.

The sources told CNN that Abdulmutallab flew into Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport on a KLM flight from Lagos, Nigeria. A U.S. administration official said the suspect did not undergo secondary screening in Amsterdam, though Schiphol officials say all connecting passengers bound for the United States undergo secondary searches.

Schiphol officials said they boosted the secondary screening for U.S.-bound connecting passengers Saturday, doing body searches and bag checks instead of using the usual metal detectors and X-ray machines. The measures were being implemented at the request of U.S. authorities, a Schiphol spokesman said.

There was also increased security Saturday for U.S.-bound passengers in Britain, whether they were connecting through Britain or flying direct.

BAA, which operates several British airports including London's Heathrow, said all passengers on U.S.-bound flights will now be subject to the secondary screening at the gate. The screening used to happen on a random basis.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
The reports I heard last night were saying this was terrorism.
Likewise.

The articles that I first read were terrorism related.

Edit: An example article

Governments React After Terror Attempt on Airplane

WDIV-TV, via Reuters
Northwest Airlines Flight 253 on the runway after arriving at Detroit Metropolitan Airport from Amsterdam on Friday. (Delta and Northwest have merged.)

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR and ERIC SCHMITT
Published: December 26, 2009
Transportation authorities began imposing tighter security measures at airports on Saturday as investigators conducted searches to learn more about the Nigerian engineering student accused of igniting an incendiary device aboard a Northwest Airlines jet as it landed in Detroit on Friday.

The White House declared the incident "an attempted act of terrorism." The plane landed safely around noon on Christmas Day after passengers helped subdue the suspect.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
They should just tie this guy up with the shoebomber with a stick of dyno between both and letem go at it. Lets face it both should be locked up for life or better yet made into food/fertilizer for pigs. Both a waste of human flesh.