[Merged] Megrahi, Convicted of Lockerbie Bombing, Released on Compassionate Grounds

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Aug 22, 2009.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8216122.stm

This clown should keep his mouth shut. The trial of Megrahi was a total travesty, the only witnesses to finger him having been paid $4 million apiece by the CIA, and many bits of evidence having been suppressed. http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=in_the_back&issue=1243
    Megrahi was a scapegoat to substitute for the real perpetrators, acting on behalf of the Iranians, who quite understandably wanted to respond to the deliberate shooting down of Iran Air 655 by the USS Vincennes a few months earlier.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was wondering how long the PRSI would be silent about this. :p FWIW I think the Scots did the right thing in releasing him. I do think the celebration in Libya was uncalled for, but if Megrahi can make good on his claim to unveil new evidence of his innocence, more power to him.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The deal obviously hinged on him dropping his appeal,something that is very important to the alphabet people they don't want any details of the shadowy goings on coming to light at this stage. The case stunk to high heaven from the start.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think he's in line right after O.J.

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Why the irrelevant sarcasm? Have you followed the case? Do you have any basis for comparing him to OJ Simpson?

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Is the PRSI devoid of sarcasm? Since when?

Its been a while so I don't remember all the details, but wasn't it supposed to be the Iranians who hired these thugs to blow up this aircraft? And this guy, Megrahi, was pinned for supplying a detonator?

Either way, like O.J., I doubt if he's on a quest to prove his innocence now.

Good luck with that cancer, Megrahi.

7. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Did the thugs sailors on the USS Vincennes face any disciplinary proceedings?

8. djellison macrumors 68020

I don't know enough about the case to know if he is or is not guilt

If he is innocent, he should be free.

If he is guilty, he should be rotting in a cell, cancer or no cancer.

He can't be both. Those that have freed him have done so on the basis that he is guilty - and that is unacceptable. If he is not guilty, then the appeal process should find him not guilty and release him as not guilty.

What we have is a man we are told is guilty of the worst terrorist attack in our history - yet has been freed and greeted as a hero. A hero for what....being innocent?

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Yes, the crew of the Vincennes did go through an investigation. And I hope you're not comparing the accidental downing of a civilian aircraft with the intentional downing of a civilian aircraft.

10. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

11. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Those that have freed him have done so on the basis that he is dying - and that is right and proper under Scottish law. There are many reasons to believe that his conviction was unsound and politically motivated, and the very likelihood that an appeal would have raised all kinds of questions which the US and British governments would have found it very awkward to answer made it politically unacceptable to go through the appeal process - which is precisely why Megrahi was made aware that this "fast-track" option for release would be available and uncontested.

12. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

The frew of the Vincennes went through a whitewash, not an investigation.
    Captain Rogers of the Vincennes was indeed a thug, and acknowledged to be such by his peers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Well, that is your personal opinion and may or may not be true; however, you still cannot compare the inadvertent downing of a civilian aircraft with the intentional downing of a civilian aircraft.

14. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I am not making the intent an issue, any more than I excuse the pilot of a B52 who drops a few tons of high explosive on a city from 40,000 feet "intending" to hit only military targets.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This was a long time ago, and I was a little kid at the time, but doesn't it seem rather fishy? I mean, have it one way or another... I think our Navy is pretty good at what they do. A little too good for mistaking an A300 for an F-14....

16. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

There are plenty of examples of the American military making huge mistakes, just like the British military too.

I'm shaking my head at the waves of hypocrisy coming from across the pond (I'm in the UK). However the whole thing stinks to high heaven and I don't trust our government as far as I can throw; as for the Scots Alex Salmond could very well be playing a dangerous political game, he's done it before.

17. Queso macrumors G4

So it's OK for the UK to pressure countries such as Thailand to free convicted drug smugglers because they happen to be British, but not OK for a questionably convicted dying man to be released to his home country for his final days?

I'm not pro- or anti- this move. It's Scotland's decision to make, according to Scottish laws and the procedures of Scottish institutions. As an Englishman I'm butting out, as everyone outside of Caledonia ought to.
    If a political game is afoot it's coming out of No 10 Downing St. Labour have never been comfortable with the SNP administration at Holyrood. Gordon Brown's silence smacks of this being a political trap laid for Salmond and Co.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That the Americans agreed to pay compensation to the Iranians for shooting down their plane, that makes it look very likely that it was deliberate.

That said a conspiracy linking the Pan-Am flight to that may be stretching things a little, I haven't looked into it though.

19. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

But it is the issue. Those who brought down the Pan Am 747 intended to kill civilians. The US Navy did not.

Unlike most nations, the US (and all NATO militaries) go to great lengths to minimize civilian deaths and other collateral damage. The terrorists, on the other hand, go after civilians because they cannot go after the military. You're familiar with the sheep and lions phrase used by the PLO?

I remember it like it was yesterday. An F-14 and an A300 have about the same radar signature and it departed from an airfield that had F14 as well as civilian jets. The bridge crew mad bad decisions under stressful conditions.

It means no such thing. All it means is that the US accepted responsibility for shooting down a civilian plane. It gets nothing to intent. This happens in civil litigation all the time.

20. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Those who brought down Flight 103 may have been aiming for returning US military personnel. The civilians may have been collateral damage. Asserting that "the US (and all NATO militaries) go to great lengths to minimize civilian deaths" is cold comfort to the hundreds of thousands killed, in Afghanistan, Baghdad, Fallujah, Serbia, Vietnam and elsewhere.

21. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

A nice new trade agreement with Libya (allegedly) and the enemy in disarray. Given the fact that it appears to have worked, it smacks of Mandy to me and not the Dear Leader!

22. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah, I don't think anyone buys that argument, except perhaps you.

While there's no doubt that war is A Bad Thing (TM), it's completely bogus to compare the intentional downing of a civilian aircraft with the unintentional downing of a civilian aircraft.

23. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

The result is precisely the same. If IranAir 655 had been PanAm 103, and the Vincennes had been an Iranian ship, would you be so sanguine?

24. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If they admitted to it and it fit the evidence. You know, like when Iraq fessed up to hitting the Stark with an Exocet, or when the Soviets hit the KLA 747. ;)

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Minister stands by bomber release

How did this story slip through these parts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8216897.stm