Merkel Victory Dimmed by Rise of Germany’s Far Right

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, Sep 25, 2017.

1. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...r-right/ar-AAsp7Sc?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

With lots of uncertainty in Europe and the looming brexit talks the Germans decided to have a "hold my beer" moment. Merkel gets knee capped, Schulz has temper tantrum, and Frauke's village idiots get seats I guess the Germans are trying to make the Americans and Brits look wise.

2. niploteksi macrumors regular

It's bound to happen sooner or later. Here's the geography:

[​IMG]

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Unsettling. I wonder if in the long term right-wing nationalists will trigger an end to peace in Europe, for today immigrants are the target, but tomorrow it might be people in an adjacent country/region....

4. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Those don't exist in a relevant and organized way in Germany.

Sure we do have and had a long parade of (far)right parties but so far they all imploded long before the next general election.

The AFD is the outlier here as it waited till 5 minutes after the election (I kid you not) to press selfdestruct......

5. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

No joke. Not even 24 hours after the election, and the AfD fraction has it's first scandal: the party's leader, Frauke Petry, leaves the fraction (but not the party) and will act independently.

Schulz's refusal to form again the government with Merkel was actually very smart: for one, the social democrats were simply crushed by Merkel's christian democrats, and were risking to lose even more support if they would form another coalition with her. In the opposition, they can now try to sharpen their profile and attempt to appear as truly independent party again, and not as just an appendix to Merkel.

Secondly, as second largest fraction in the parliament, they are now the opposition leaders. If they would form another coalition with Merkel, that would be the AfD. And as opposition leadership comes with certain privileges, including presidency in some important committees, this would have granted these right-wing extremists considerable influence.

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

That depends on how many will follow Mrs Petry (she isn't alone and the move was planned long ahead).

If more than 14 leave the AFD fraction, it would make the FDP the strongest opposition (in the case of a CD/SU+SPD coalition).

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the right starts to rise when the left goes full retard...........

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

The important piece of news of this election is that the main parties lost 14% of the votes.

9. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

No the right start to rise when complicated matters require complicate solutions that are then not communicated properly.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You mean the center (or centre for our UK readers)...

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I was once told the right is the left in Europe so maybe I am confused but comment would still stand :p

12. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

CDU/CSU are the right..AfD is Breitbart

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

ok, so what did the "right" ran their campaign on? perhaps we can see why they won.......

14. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

Populism, anti-migration and anti-EU..they're right just more right or alt-right if that's a name you like.

I'd argue that another resurgent party the FDP is more right but the scope of their rightness is aimed at business

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

History repeating its self?

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Immigration and the refugee policy was the big ticket item.

17. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

As little as I like the FDP, they haven't any prominent members blaring blatantly racist statements, trivialising the crimes of the Third Reich, or inciting hate against democratic parties and the media.

18. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

I agree they're just rational greedy folks..

19. 0007776 Suspended

I think that will eventually be the result, the EU and its predecessors have kept here from being a major war in Europe since WW II ended. As the far right makes the EU crack the tensions that used to cause wars every 30 years or so will be back.

If the UK economy crashes after Brexit, the nationalists will need something else to blame, and that will probably be that Germany forced the rest of Europe into giving them a bad deal, give it a decade or two of nationalist rhetoric and talking about how the rest of Europe victimized them and you'll have the foundation for another European war.

20. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

I predict that this AfD bunch will now slowly splinter and disintegrate before our eyes like most parties full of authoritarian arseholes who can't actually do anything other than moan typically do when they reach a certain size. There's no personality cult media friendly figurehead to pull them together. Without a Marine Le Pen to rally around they're already sunk.

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The really important part is they said they weren't going to participate in the parliament.

22. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Their share of the vote could increase if the refugee flood is not stemmed.
    Guys generally do not vote for parties perceived to be abetting the rape of their sisters and daughters.

23. Zenithal macrumors G3

Merkel's CDU isn't liberal. Perhaps to some people unfamiliar with German politics it may be from the immigration standpoint. Her party is the main reason Germany's been a bit stagnant on certain social movements. The previous governing conservative party prior to Merkel's first term and the CDU as of late were dragged kicking and screaming to pardon social dissidents of past (see:those charged with homosexual crimes) as late as two or three months ago. After parliament voted to allow gay marriage early in the summer, some people suspected she would throw a public fit about it or there would be massive marches against the ruling.

I think people expected the behavior similar to France's Catholics and their anti-gay sentiment a few years ago.

CDU is to Classic Republicanism as SPD is to American Democrats.

It's confusing.

Ah, like the current American GOP. Majority everywhere, still sitting on their thumbs whinging. Grown men who should be treated as they were kids back in their day; belted across the arse.

24. zin macrumors 6502

Merkel shouldn't have opened the borders to swarms of migrants.

25. niploteksi macrumors regular