Merom Delayed Further?

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
638
2
Los Angeles
I saw this on Appleinsider.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1983

"The problem could grow if demand continues to rise," Macworld UK reported. "It takes several weeks to finish production of a chipset, meaning output increases can take some time to actually reach the market."

The shortage could potentially delay the release of Apple's upcoming Core 2 Duo-based systems.


Waiting is painful. I've been waiting a few months. I suppose a couple of more won't hurt too much more.:(
 

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
6,887
511
HecubusPro said:
I saw this on Appleinsider.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1983

"The problem could grow if demand continues to rise," Macworld UK reported. "It takes several weeks to finish production of a chipset, meaning output increases can take some time to actually reach the market."

The shortage could potentially delay the release of Apple's upcoming Core 2 Duo-based systems.


Waiting is painful. I've been waiting a few months. I suppose a couple of more won't hurt too much more.:(
A motherboard delay would only delay conroe, not merom, since merom can use the yonah mobos already shipping.
 

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
460
0
ksz said:
Apple may still announce the update next month but our shopping carts will have 3-5 week wait.
Apple's M.O. is more like: "Let's distract the stupidly loyal customers with a gimmicky ipod phone, hoping they won't notice stale pro product lines -- then announce Merom MBP's in October with an actual shipping date of 10-12 weeks."
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,571
96
djkny said:
Apple's M.O. is more like: "Let's distract the stupidly loyal customers with a gimmicky ipod phone, hoping they won't notice -- then announce Merom MBP's in October with an actual shippind date of 10-12 weeks."
Most likely true!
 

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
5,758
37
London
djkny said:
Apple's M.O. is more like: "Let's distract the stupidly loyal customers with a gimmicky ipod phone, hoping they won't notice stale pro product lines -- then announce Merom MBP's in October with an actual shipping date of 10-12 weeks."
Meroms drop right in.

Regarding Apple's phone, I take it you have seen it? You seem to know what they have come up with.
 

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
6,473
123
Mpls, MN
Merom, and all the new processors, have only been moved up. What delay are you talking about? Wishing for a new computer to come out every Tuesday is not a delay on Intel's part.
 

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
977
9
Boston, MA
I too am waiting impatiently for Apple to get a Core 2 duo in an iMac. If it doesn't happen soon, I may break and get a current iMac.
 

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
638
2
Los Angeles
JAT said:
Merom, and all the new processors, have only been moved up. What delay are you talking about? Wishing for a new computer to come out every Tuesday is not a delay on Intel's part.
The shortage could potentially delay the release of Apple's upcoming Core 2 Duo-based systems.

That delay.
 

Fadl

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2001
33
0
HecubusPro said:
The shortage could potentially delay the release of Apple's upcoming Core 2 Duo-based systems.

That delay.

Again: Merom uses the same plattform than the Yonah MacBook(Pro). So there is no new chipset for Merom!
 

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
6,887
511
HecubusPro said:
The shortage could potentially delay the release of Apple's upcoming Core 2 Duo-based systems.

That delay.
THAT delay would be a delay of CONROE machines, not merom. Conroe needs a new motherboard, merom can go into existing designs, from mini to iMac to macbook to MB pro.
 

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
638
2
Los Angeles
Fadl said:
Again: Merom uses the same plattform than the Yonah MacBook(Pro). So there is no new chipset for Merom!
Then I guess I'm confused by this comment...
The shortage could potentially delay the release of Apple's upcoming Core 2 Duo-based systems.

Appleinsider is specifically speaking of Apple Core 2 Duo-based systems.

The sky isn't falling. I'm just hoping this doesn't significantly affect a merom MBP rollout.
 

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
638
2
Los Angeles
milo said:
THAT delay would be a delay of CONROE machines, not merom. Conroe needs a new motherboard, merom can go into existing designs, from mini to iMac to macbook to MB pro.
Now that I understand. Thank you.
 
F

freakonguitar

Guest
this is crap! Intel should have anticipated this way ahead of time considering their past backlogs of getting out motherboards and new processors! :mad: I need a new machine soon but don't want to kick myself if they put conroe in the new imac just after i break and decide on getting an imac that has a notebook processor in it!! :(
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,567
1,519
Actually it may be a bigger deal than you think. As I understand it the 965 chipset doubles the integrated graphics from 64 to 128 mb shared video. While Apple can simply swap the Yonahs out and Meroms in to avoid delaying a bump to the MacBook or Mini (since they both rely on integrated graphics), it means not being able to offer a simultaneous increase in VRAM. Apple may not want to have another revision a few weeks later, causing either a delay for those machines, or just a speed bump now, and no graphics bump till January or as late as March with Santa Rosa. My guess is the MBP and iMac will see Meroms in early Sept and MacBooks and Minis will get pushed back till late September to mid-October.
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
roland.g said:
Actually it may be a bigger deal than you think. As I understand it the 965 chipset doubles the integrated graphics from 64 to 128 mb shared video. While Apple can simply swap the Yonahs out and Meroms in to avoid delaying a bump to the MacBook or Mini (since they both rely on integrated graphics), it means not being able to offer a simultaneous increase in VRAM. Apple may not want to have another revision a few weeks later, causing either a delay for those machines, or just a speed bump now, and no graphics bump till January or as late as March with Santa Rosa. My guess is the MBP and iMac will see Meroms in early Sept and MacBooks and Minis will get pushed back till late September to mid-October.
The 965 won't be on a MOBILE platform until Santa Rosa.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,567
1,519
Eidorian said:
The 965 won't be on a MOBILE platform until Santa Rosa.
Well then I want my 1.83 or 2.0 Mini, and I want it yesterday, or 6 days from now at the latest.
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,567
1,519
Eidorian said:
There are third parties that can do that or you can just do it yourself.
Yeah, but for how much?
I don't really mind taking apart a Mini, but is the cost savings really that worth it on RAM? You can get larger and faster HDDs, but the faster ones aren't cheap. I'm going to do a Ministack anyway. And the cost of a processor? Then you have to flash the firmware don't you. Are you saying get a 1.5 to save $200 and then upgrade pretty much everything. Once I start doing that to a 1.66 $800 + RAM + HDD + processor + time = $1300-1600 Mini. Right.

BTW, I'm not calling you out. If you know more than I do, just give me some #'s to work from. Maybe a couple links.

Thanks.
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
roland.g said:
Yeah, but for how much?
I don't really mind taking apart a Mini, but is the cost savings really that worth it on RAM? You can get larger and faster HDDs, but the faster ones aren't cheap. I'm going to do a Ministack anyway. And the cost of a processor? Then you have to flash the firmware don't you. Are you saying get a 1.5 to save $200 and then upgrade pretty much everything. Once I start doing that to a 1.66 $800 + RAM + HDD + processor + time = $1300-1600 Mini. Right.

BTW, I'm not calling you out. If you know more than I do, just give me some #'s to work from. Maybe a couple links.

Thanks.
Yonah prices are still high. I didn't say you'd SAVE money doing it.
 

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
6,473
123
Mpls, MN
roland.g said:
Yeah, but for how much?
I don't really mind taking apart a Mini, but is the cost savings really that worth it on RAM? You can get larger and faster HDDs, but the faster ones aren't cheap. I'm going to do a Ministack anyway. And the cost of a processor? Then you have to flash the firmware don't you. Are you saying get a 1.5 to save $200 and then upgrade pretty much everything. Once I start doing that to a 1.66 $800 + RAM + HDD + processor + time = $1300-1600 Mini. Right.

BTW, I'm not calling you out. If you know more than I do, just give me some #'s to work from. Maybe a couple links.

Thanks.
What do you need the Mini for? The 1.6 is very capable, at least with 2GB RAM. I've been very happy with mine since May. If you decide it's not enough at some point, upgrade it later. After prices are lower on Merom.
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,567
1,519
Eidorian said:
Yonah prices are still high. I didn't say you'd SAVE money doing it.
Actually you may be on to something.

Refurb'd 1.66 Mini $750 incl. tax
100 GB 2.5" Hitachi Traverstar 7200 SATA 8MB Cache & 2GB RAM from OWC $392.50 shipped

Total system $1142.50

From Apple with Edu disc. 1.66 100GB 5400 HDD & 2BG RAM $1173 incl. tax.

Save $30 and get a faster drive.

Upgrade CPU down the line if I want.
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
roland.g said:
Actually you may be on to something.

Refurb'd 1.66 Mini $750 incl. tax
100 GB 2.5" Hitachi Traverstar 7200 SATA 8MB Cache & 2GB RAM from OWC $392.50 shipped

Total system $1142.50

From Apple with Edu disc. 1.66 100GB 5400 HDD & 2BG RAM $1173 incl. tax.

Save $30 and get a faster drive.

Upgrade CPU down the line if I want.
I was including the CPU upgrade. :p