message: “unable to log in to the user account “user” at this time”

Discussion in 'macOS' started by romirela, Dec 7, 2009.

1. romirela macrumors newbie

Friday, when I tried to enter my computer I have received a log screen. Tried to log but I have received this message “you are unable to log in to the user account “user” at this time because an error occured” (never happened before). I am sure that the passowrd is correct because the screen doesnt shake, like it happens when I introduce a wrong passord.
    Tried to reboot with "apple S" pressed to go to the root. When I acces the directory "Users" I cannot see my user name anymore. Filevault is not activated, never did it.
    I have very important data from work (my whole year work), I dont have backup and I must not loos it.
    I was not trying to do an updade or anything, it just happen when I turn on the Mac.

I have tried to do the following things too:
    First thing:
    Boot from installation disk #1:Accessed Disk Utility and repaired the disk. There was one error "Mounting of the drive" that was fixed. No other errors found. When i rebooted i got the same message at the login screen.

Tried to change the password. I got an error telling me that i don't have permission or an error has occurred.

Did the fsck -fy:
    The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok
    rebooted and still had the same problem.

Did anybody experience such a thing? Any suggestions?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

1st priority: boot from the installation disc and make a backup copy of your important files somehow. ...perhaps to a flash drive, if that provides the space you need for your files.

Can you create a new user account from the disc? There's lots of info about accounts in Mac Help.