Message from Flint to Trump: Where the hell have you been?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, I suppose better late than never. But with only 54 days remaining, this was pretty close to never. I'm happy that he finally has gone there, which has been one of my criticisms of him considering how many times he has been close by and could have visited.

But.....

Clinton was there at the beginning of Feburary
    Sanders was there at the end of February
    Obama was there in May

And what was Trump's response back then? A big ol no comment.
    https://thinkprogress.org/trump-refuses-to-comment-on-flint-water-crisis-16893d3b3ebc#.e42kzlm4e

Now that he is pandering for black votes, many months after everyone else he has suddenly discovered Flint Michigan. What the hell took him so long? Doesn't exactly show that he cares about people. But at the 11th hour he sure cares about their votes all of the sudden.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2016/09/14/donald-trump-protesters-flint-gop/90353450/in

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

File under "not so fast there, Donny Boy":

NotSoFastThereDonaldSezPastor.jpg

3. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Has Clinton been to Louisiana yet? Has her charity done anything to help in either Michigan or Louisiana?

4. zin macrumors 6502

He should have gone earlier. It's good that he's going, though. Something tells me that even if he did go in February, you'd have called it a photo op, just like Louisiana.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well maybe if he took Play-Doh it would be pretty much a photo op. Truckloads of water or maybe 50k Brita pitcher filters or something, good on him.

6. zin macrumors 6502

I'm not sure why people are having trouble understanding the Play-Doh. Children also lost their homes in Louisiana. They need something to keep their minds occupied.

He should show up with truckloads of Trump water (yes, he owns a bottled water brand).

7. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Actually no. Unlike his 49 second play-DOH photo op, this one was a good trip to learn something. I think it was good. Just way too late to be looked at as something other than pandering at the last minute though. Feburary to April would have been good. Now it just looks opportunistic.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2016 ---
    49 seconds offloading for the cameras, Zin. 49 seconds. That's the problem. If he had unloaded the whole truck I'd have a different opinion.

8. zin macrumors 6502

49 seconds, an 18-wheeler of supplies, and a $100,000 donation.

BAD!

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Inherently, a presidential candidate's visit to a disaster stricken place is probably a photo op.

While governors can deploy national guard units, and the president can send in federal help, a former Sec. State and a realty TV show star add nothing to such an effort.

Visiting Baton Rouge or Flint Michigan is likely a distraction. Now, a candidate could use such an issue as a jumping off point to talk about policy—Flint was the result of a complacent EPA and corrupt local officials, Baton Rouge is just another sign of bad Army Corps of Engineers policy and climate change—but, to just tour an area is all about optics.

10. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The help is great. But it was bad to butt right into the line for the sole purpose of a camera shot. Doesn't that kind of fakery bother you in the least Zin?

He pushed his way in, offloaded for 49 seconds and then just walked away. I assume that if you had a friend helping you move that you'd take issue if he showed up for 49 seconds, snapped a selfie to post on FB and Instagram and then said see ya...and went on his way.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Trump brought a truck loaded with a mishmash of supplies—PlayDoh was included—and "promised" to give the money to Greenwell Springs Baptist Church. Note, many of his promised donations have only come in when reporters asked if the check had been cut. (Some promises are still outstanding).

And, this money went to a church with a pastor known for criticizing transgendered efforts.

As usual, it's a half-assed effort intended to look good for the know-nothings, but without any substance, that happens to help his own political allies.

12. zin macrumors 6502

Not really. He showed up, gave supplies, made a donation, and directed attention to the crisis.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Flint is a smoldering hellhole of crime, poverty, and Democrats. I'd stay away, too.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Clinton is not even healthy enough for a photo shoot :D

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

He didn't "give attention to the crisis." Instead, he spent 49 seconds there so he could garner some credibility. He's a vampire.

16. zin macrumors 6502

That's not what the Governor of Louisiana said, and he's a Democrat, nor numerous state politicians.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

there was no evidence he actually donated a truck from what I have seen. there were plenty of questions over proof. as far as the money the great leader tends to donate others money not his own so claiming he donated it is pretty questionable.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Gov. Edwards was wrong to say that Trump's visit "shined a spotlight." The narrative was that the flood wasn't getting enough coverage, but this was already wrong even when Edwards warned Trump not to create a photo op.

But, that's exactly what Trump did. He brought a tiny amount of supplies and created a momentary distraction that was about him.

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

And on other issues, Sanders went there, then Trump, then Clinton. Or on other issues, Trump then Clinton then Sanders.

In other words, they can't be omnipotent and omnipresent?

20. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Hmm....Their not Gods, and government is not God.