Message to all those in the LGBT community

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I know we have a lot of members active in this community, so if you are headed out to the parades stay vigilant and safe.

Regardless of the rationale behind these recent attacks it is clear that the LGBT gatherings have been targetted, and there are quite a few high profile events this month in my city and elsewhere.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Krav Maga or Kajukenbo have great schools if firearms don't interest you

7. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I expressed my frustration against trans people in another thread about public washrooms but after this has happened I legitimately feel bad for saying that.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If after Paris, we said Je Suis Paris and after Brussels, we said Je Suis Bruxelles, then after last night, I say I am gay.

Stay safe out there guys and gals.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm sure you could just say "Je suis Orlando" and be okay.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Another recommendation for the Pink Pistols.

"No guns allowed" = Free fire zone with helpless people. I have no clue why being helpless is seen as being desirable. I don't understand people who refuse the responsibility for their own safety. After all, nobody else will do it for you--and numerous court decisions have held that the cops don't have to protect you unless you're in their direct view.

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

According to Miami Beach's Mayor: Je Suis LGBT.

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I'm gay and I carry. Of course I also follow the law so when it's a gun free zone I leave the gun at home or in the vehicle. Sadly the bad people don't also follow the law even though the anti-gun crowd will try to argue otherwise.

If I'm going to be a victim of hate or terror at least give me a chance to fight back.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Oh for Pete sake people, leave the arguments for the other threads. :rolleyes:

14. kapolani macrumors regular

If firearms do interest you and you're in the DC/VA/MD area I will instruct you on how to use and carry a firearm if you are looking for instruction.

Free of charge. I'm a certified RSO (Range Safety Officer). Former military with 7 years of service.

PM me and we can set something up.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ultimately a stable society in large urban areas depends on most citizens not being able to deal death with the pull of a trigger for whatever the many reasons, some in defense, some legitimate, but many others not justifiable. As a rule, IMO more guns don't mean more safety, but more death. Thirty thousand gun deaths a year seem to support this premise.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Being gun free is desirable or even nessasary in certain places. Do you really want drunk people with guns? Do you want to carry guns on rides in amusement parks? How about wearing one in a swimming pool or on a waterslide? In the ocean at the beach?

Now, I think it's a good idea to have security with guns in places, but everyone? No. For obvious reasons. Not everyone is capable of being responsible with one.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not everyone at a bar drinks, not everyone is drunk, and based on number the amount of people with CCWs is pretty freaking low to begin with.

18. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I think as a start, all off-duty police or other law enforcement personnel should carry their weapons. They are already trained, and in civilian clothes any shooter should think twice about targeting a soft target like a night club.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Hard to imagine a more dangerous place than The Old West, right? I mean, everybody had weapons and everybody hit the saloons.

Except:
    There was violence along the frontiers, but most of it was related to clashes with Indians, bandits or foreign nations. There was not a great deal of "ordinary" crime. From 1870 to 1885, the era of the Wild West when "everybody wore a gun," arrest rates per 100 residents were much lower in the West than in eastern cities. Moreover, "the Western frontier was a far more civilized, more peaceful, and safer place than American society is today."

Contrary to the impression left by movies and Western novels, crime and homicides were rare. For example:
    • In 1880, wide-open towns like Virginia City, Nev., Leadville, Colo., and Dallas had no homicides. By comparison, Cincinnati had 17 homicides that year.
    • From 1870 to 1885, the five Kansas railheads of Abilene, Caldwell, Dodge City, Ellsworth and Wichita had a total of 45 homicides, or an average of three per year - a lower homicide rate than New York City, Baltimore and Boston.
    • Sixteen of the 45 homicides were committed by duly authorized peace officers, and only two towns Ellsworth in 1873 and Dodge City in 1876 ever had as many as five killings in any one year.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2016 ---
    Tell us what your standard is when deciding which topics you'll abstain from opining upon.

For example, if someone posts a topic telling Trump rally goers to be careful, will you not drop by with some snarky comment?

20. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

No doubt tim will give a reach out as part of WWDC.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Maybe using the old west isn't the best example to use when being against gun control:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/23/nation/la-na-tombstone-20110123

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Surprised you remember the Old West so fondly, Duck. Didn't you end up getting your ass kicked by Little Bill?

23. dec. Suspended

dec.

how did that work out?

24. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah. We need to work on our mental health crises and supporting our inner-cities and minority communities.