Messages — Disable opening straight to camera?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by DDustiNN, Oct 3, 2018.

1. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

I often send pictures through text/iMessages, but they are always pictures I have already taken or saved. I have never once thought, “I’m gonna take a picture - let me open my Messages app.”

Previously, pressing the photo icon within Messsages brought you straight to a list of your photos to choose from. Not anymore! Now in iOS 12, I have to wait for the camera to open, then reach all the way to the top left corner, and tap the photo icon, just to bring up the photos list. It’s inconvenient and annoying.

Who thought this was a good idea? And how can I disable it? I hate unnecessary extra steps that waste time.

2. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

This annoys me so much I've started just sending photos from the Photos app directly.

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/quick-select-photos-in-messages.2138876/

4. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Copying into this thread as well, in case it helps anyone.

Thanks for this. I always keep the app drawer closed since I rarely use them. But opening it up and hitting the photos icon is still faster than loading the camera, so I guess that’s the way I’ll do it.

5. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Why don't you just tap on the photos "app" below the camera icon? That takes you to your camera roll photos.

6. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

That was covered in the post right above yours.

7. Capeto macrumors regular

Capeto

I usually keep the iMessage apps hidden, so now I need to either keep them enabled to tap the Photos icon or open the camera and then select Photos (and hide the app row afterwards anyways).

8. Cordorb macrumors regular

if you get it to work with the new Siri shortcuts let us know.