Messages app automatically opens chats

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3bs, Dec 24, 2011.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

One of the thins that made me switch over from whatsapp to iMessage is that whenever you went on whatsapp it showed all of the people that messages you that you've read their messages while this might not be the case. Sometimes I'd just go on to reply to an urgent message and don't have time to chat but people thought I was ignoring them. I thought iMessage fixed this since it only shows messages as read if you open the chat which is great. Except if you open the Messages app it automatically opens a chat which has unread messages which is what I don't want. Is this considered a bug? Is there any way around it?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Turn off the read receipt notice, then they don't know if you've read it, or not. They just get the delivered confirmation.

3. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I guess that's one solution but I would rather keep it on. I don't see why the it has to take me to an unread chat. Sure if I get a notification and click on it or if I'm in lock screen and slide the message then I want that but if I open the Messages app from the home screen I want it to take me to the list of chats

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Mine does, I'm not sure why yours doesn't. It only takes me directly to a conversation if I click on an alert, or left a conversation open, when I left the app.

5. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I know its weird but I just tested it. I opened the messages app and left the chat I was in so I was in the chat list and then had someone message me. I got an alert and I pressed the off button to close the screen. I then unlocked my phone and opened the messages app and it took my directly to the chat with the message that person sent

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Odd! I never use read receipts, because there are very few people I'm worried about answering right away, so I always turn that setting off. If someone gets annoyed with me for not responding to a message immediately, they've got bigger problems than I can ever help them solve.

7. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I guess I'll turn them off. I was just wondering if there was a way around this and if Apple missed this or if they did it on purpose. I just don't understand why they'd do something like this on purpose