Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I tried using the Messages in iCloud feature instead of the way it has been for the past 13 years. Took over a day for all my messages to first upload from my iPhone (primary device). However, when I then activated the Messages in iCloud on my Mac and iPad, I did not get any photos, vids, gifs to show within each message thread. Does media not backup and deploy to other devices? Or is there some setting I missed?

Also, do "green" regular text messages backup and deploy to the other devices? Or only the "blue" iMessage chats?

Thanks!

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
Image and videos have always worked for me, and I just iMessage in iCloud all the time. But it takes awhile, sometimes day on a clean install, but if you tap the senders name and click info > photos > see all you will sometimes see a missing image picture, if you click on it then you will force a download of that image / video.

SMS (green) message have also backed up, but I have found on iPhone I need to select text messaging forward to continue to receive them. It does not bother me as i don’t sent SMS it’s all iMessages for me.

Reactions: dmk1974
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.