"Messages" (v8.0) on iMac sometimes takes MINUTES to send SMS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jman995x, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jman995x macrumors regular

I've noticed that sometimes I will send an SMS to a friend, on my iMac (10.10.2) on Messages (v8.0 4733), and the "progress bar" at the top will get to about 90% complete, then hang there for up to 3-4 minutes, before finally being "sent." After that first message actually gets sent and I'm given the "sent" sound, the next messages I type / send are sent almost instantaneously.

So, what is holding up that first message and how can I prevent it?

For anybody thinking it's a Wi-Fi or Modem problem, I'm almost always doing something on a various webpages at the same time that I'm doing messages, so that's not the issue.

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

I noticed a few days ago that Apple's Messages was near the top of the list on Downdetector's web site (not a good thing).

I was having the same issues yesterday that you're citing, using Messages on my Mac to connect with my business partner in Seattle (I'm in Portland) and my brother (in Sitka, flying to Portland tomorrow).

Some of my Messages were sent as text messages, and a few were not shown as received but they were received on the other end - I found that out when I picked up the phone to call each party.

The kicker for me was that I received a Message on my Mac from my brother that he sent - 20 days ago - and received on my iPhone back then. I wish I had a fix for us... I think I'll stick to Messages on my iOS devices.