Messenger apps.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lyceumHQ, Nov 13, 2011.

1. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Looking for some recommendations for messenger apps.

Been using yak for about a year but the past few months it seems to have developed an issue where it doesn't alert me, have spoken to the developer and he says it's apples fault. I have to manually check for messages, then I get the alert tone for that message ten minutes later.

I have tried ping, again, fails to alert me. Whatsapp, takes an age to download messages unless I'm on wifi.

So, can anyone recommend an app that's reliable. I'm not on iOS5 yet, so can't use iMessages.

Preferable looking for an app I can personalise tones etc on. I love all the options yak gives, I can use the same alert tone as my SMS messages, can customise wallpaper etc. But al pointless if it doesn't alert me.

Thanks

2. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

3. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I have biteSMS, but that uses my own messages from my contract allowance, how do I send free messages to someone else with that? I'm in the UK and the person I message most is in the US.

I have tried kik, seems to alert fine. But no customisation options. So was hoping someone knew of one that had those. If now I'll probably go with kik, unless a better one is suggested.

4. Almy macrumors 6502

I've been using Beejive for years, and it's rock solid. If you've been around pre-iPhone smart phones you might know it as Jivetalk.

5. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Thanks, according the the app page in iTunes that uses your existing messages from your plan too, like bitesms. So would cost me about 20p per message.

Edit: sorry, it uses your data, not messages. Steep at £6.99, but worth it if it works.

6. Almy macrumors 6502

I paid $9.99 for it right after the App Store first launched and I feel like I have definitely gotten my money out of it. I use it to stay logged into and get messages from gtalk, Facebook IM, and yahoo. I used to use it for others but I just don't have friends that use ICQ, hotmail, et cetera any more.

7. Pooshka macrumors 65816

I don't get it, are you looking for an IM app or a texting app like WhatsApp?

WhatsApp has been the most popular texting app for a while now. I don't think this trend is changing any time soon. But honestly, I can't stand its looks. Everything is just so fugly about it.

As far as IM goes, I recommend Beejive for its reliability and reputation. In terms of looks, Verbs tops them all but is not as reliable.

Good luck.

8. slrml617 macrumors member

Try LINE from Naver.
    IMO one of the best messaging apps out there.

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I recommend using BeeJive. If you are just looking for a solid IM messaging app that's the one for you.

10. Merkie macrumors 68020

Whatsapp ofcourse. Fix the issue with the slow downloading of messages.

11. lyceumHQ, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I have family in the us. I message them every day using yak. It's become unreliable. So I'm looking for a replacement.

I also have what sap because I lot of my friends in the UK have it. I find it clunky and slow. Unless I'm on wifi. Which obviously I'm not on wifi all the time.

----------

Tried to download, a lot of reviews say verification codes don't come through in the UK. Sure enough, no verification code..

----------

How do I fix the issue?

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Another recommendation for Beejive, as well as for Trillian. Both solid apps.