#MeToo - Professor says God is a rapist & predator

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by raqball, Dec 7, 2018.

1. raqball macrumors 68000

You can't make this stuff up... Maybe he needs to spend some time with his emotional support squirrel...

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/me...tory-for-impregnating-virgin-without-consent/

*snip*

From Sprankle’s perspective, God is a rapist who exploited his authority to manipulate the Virgin Mary into carrying his child, which is “an unethical abuse of power at best and grossly predatory at worst,” he explained

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/12/...ng-god-impregnated-mary-jesus-without-consent

*snip snip*

Steyn said that 50 years ago, Sprankle's "shallow banality" would be something heard coming from a "drunk undergrad at 3:00 in the morning."

He said that Sprankle basically said God told Mary to "come back to his pad" while singing the now-controversial Dean Martin classic "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and telling her to "put some records on while I pour."

https://twitter.com/DrSprankle/status/1069666492155944960

*snip snip snip*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Someone might need to tell the Professor that God was created by man as the perceived perfect all powerful being, but just happened to include all of our human faults and failings. No surprise there, based on the source. However, I suspect he knows that and is simply pointing out the (lack of) wisdom associated with this ancient tall tale, religious doctrine.

What does this have to do with Me Too and why do you think this person needs comforting?

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

He’s not wrong. If you believe in a literal description of the biblical god, that guy is a huge son of a bitch.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

“Then Mary said, “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.”
    (Luke 1:38, NKJV)

Sounds like consent to me.

5. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

I’m glad someone was around to quote Mary, sounds like proof to me. ;)

6. Solver macrumors 6502a

So he really hates the one God? What about all the others?

7. ericwn macrumors 68030

All those other religions that celebrate Christmas? Maybe there are more appropriate times to question their stories.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, wait until he gets to "Leda and the Swan."

This is what I was saying earlier about the right's argument against safe spaces. The right-wing has their own sense of outrage and will go after a professor for saying the wrong thing.

9. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not outraged at all.... He has the right to his personal thoughts but he should keep them separate from his official duties of teaching young minds... He is a professor who teaches at a university ya know,......

10. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

Zousse Zeus has his ways with maidens on a regular basis (as a bull, as a swan, as golden raino_O, etc). He's the Bubba Clinton of gods.:D When Greek women of ancient times asked if they would have sex with Zeus, all of them said, "Not a second time.":oops:

Anyhow, IMO, Zeus/Odin/Yahweh/Allah are all the same guy. It's the whole Highlander there can only be one contest where the gods battle it out for total domination.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, he put them out in a tweet, not in his class. And, really, professors can teach a lot by saying something to encourage their students to argue a point.

I remember a professor saying that America didn't have any culture, a point that I hammered away at, and after writing down what I said on a blackboard, he told me that was my term paper assignment, to convince him through rhetoric that he was wrong.

So, I dug into the history of jazz back to the Colonial era and the fusion of Mexican and Anglo food culture in the southwest. Got an award for that particular piece of writing.

And, all because my professor challenged me on an idea. Kids today need to think, and not just yell "I'm offended" when they hear something that runs against what they were taught as children.

12. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

That's going to be pretty hard, when it's parents that are guilty of doing that themselves nowadays.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

SNORE. Who cares? Many Christians think anyone who ever jerked off committed genocide. "There's very fine people on both sides, on both sides".

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I've had two parents come to my office to "speak" with me about their child's grade. It's always hilarious and it never goes well.

And, it's always some Valley of the Dolls lady with a giant gold gross on her neck with her sport-coat armored husband.

My favorite line, "I pay your salary!" No you don't actually, I'm on a grant from a private funder. At best, you paid for part of the server that runs the grading program where your daughter's "D" resides.

I'm always searching for a new way to tell them that the reason Britney is failing is because she's not turning in her work, and when she does, it's mostly plagiarized garbage from Wikipedia.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

First, while the guy is a professor, it is not clear at all that he has posted this in any official capacity, or that it was aimed at students.

Second, while you might choose to disagree with him, I don't think any of us would want the government to censor a citizen's free speech just because he is a professor. Indeed, even if the twitter was meant as an academic comment, we really don't want governments censoring academic speech.

Third, for those to discuss sexuality in the Bible, why not start with the 'sons of god'/Nephilim? It seems Jesus wasn't the only half-human...

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Wonder what he thinks of Muhammad and Aisha. :confused:

17. Raid, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

...or some dude got Mary drunk she started to wake and he made up a story about being the angel Gabriel... the passage above says the angel departed from her... ;):eek:

<edit> ... or there's this translation Luke 1:38 Disciples’ Literal New Testament (DLNT)
    </edit> Puts less of a 'I have a choice' vibe to it.

But again people take all this stuff too literally. Jesus was supposed to be pure, but human...

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Does he teach through tweets? I had to show up at lecture halls and write notes.

19. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

No clue.. He is a professor and that is his official Twitter account.... Do you know for a fact that these thinkings do not make it into his classroom?

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Do you? I'm not the one who made the assertion he was teaching such things to his class.

21. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I've never taken a class the nutbag teaches so no, I don't have an audio tape proof....

22. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

So then you might not want to judge... lest ye be judged right?

P.S. Why only audio? In this day and age you can get video recording right from your phone.

23. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I am sure students follow his twitter but....... If he does not lets his personal thoughts make their way into the classroom (doubtful) then I'll retract my statement about him shaping young minds.... The rest stands...

You can put lipstick on a pig but....

24. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

So you want those kids to be sheltered from ideas? I thought you people were against safe spaces and creating “snowflakes”?

25. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

In the grand scheme of things I'm sure some of his students make up part of his 16K followers. But as a "Associate Professor of Clinical Psychology & Sexuality Studies" and apparently an advocate for "Sex workers rights" the only talk about god is probably when His name get's invoked during the act.

But I wonder really what is the issue here? Is it about the #metoo movement, is about the fallibility of religion? Or are we trying to associate the #metoo movement with religion "haters"?... maybe it's a chance to call somebody crazy over 140 words or less.