Metro PCS 4G LTE on an iP5 Verizon Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apierrec, Oct 4, 2012.

1. apierrec, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

apierrec macrumors 6502

Anyone tried or has this? I know Metro PCS uses CDMA technology but not sure if it's frequency or band is compatible with iP5 Verizon LTE / GSM chip. Or if only Verizon LTE will work in my phone. (?)

2. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Nope. :D The iPhone is all screwed up on Metro. Well, and now TMO owns Metro so I don't know what will happen.

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I think MetroPCS uses AWS (Band 4) and PCS (band 2) for LTE - so it should not work with the Verizon iPhone.

It should work with the AT&T phone once metro integrates with t-mobile.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

would be curious to know this as well. I thought about it in the past, but never could b.c they were CDMA, but with the way the new iphone works it may be possible. Talk about dirt cheap LTE unlimited.....$55 for everything unlimited.

----------

is that still going to happen? I thought that whole deal was a flop.

5. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Announced yesterday. Just needs regulatory approval - which most people think the FCC will allow.

The general consensus is T-Mobile will sunset the CDMA network and re-purpose the spectrum for GSM/LTE.

6. apierrec thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.

Oh boy, am screwed. AT&T has no LTE in my area. I really want experience LTE speed at home or wherever am in my area. Verizon has prepaid by which LTE will work.

I cannot live or afford Verizon's shared limited plan. Bought the iP5 Verizon because it is the more global phone as I travel a lot but if Verizon LTE is the only one that will work ... thinking of returning it / replace with an AT&T iP5 - stick with AT&T. iUGH.

And just move (few miles) to where AT &T has LTE coverage. LeSigh.

7. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6S will be out by the time this happens though.

Best bet for prepaid right now is Net10. $45 a month for unlimited talk, text and data. (2-3GB HSPA+)

Works with AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5.

8. apierrec thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but no LTE data speed.

Am using my AT&T nano SIM card right now as I still have an unlimited data contract thru mid-next year - more expensive plus it's fake 4G or 3.5 G can be hit or miss / crawling sometimes.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

What do you mean? T-mobile would switch to a CDMA carrier and at&t would essentially have phones that run on both networks going forward? or that it would just make way for something different...all phones on all networks.

10. apierrec thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the rumor or in the news - if the merger gets approved.

Can't blame them as CDMA (it sucks and I loathe it for being so different with what most of world is using) is really an old technology. Verizon and Sprint, can you hear me? It's about time - give it up. :D

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Sunset means retire. T-mobile would take MetroPCS's, keep the LTE, and convert the rest to GSM.