Mexicans are lashing out at their own government over Trump's border plans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 26, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/mexicans-lashing-own-government-over-181529490.html
    said it a few times, hope this leads to real change in Mexico and the only way for that to happen is for the citizens to take out the corrupt GOVT.

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Trump is kicking ass and it's only been a week. After 8 years of Obama blasting my ass I feel like I can now rest and nurse my devastated bunghole.

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Mexican people are pressuring their President and he had no choice to cancel a meeting with Trump. That said he is going to have to come to the table at some point to renegotiate terms with NAFTA. Sounds too like he needs to stop the tail from wagging the dog in his own country. America is building a wall and YES they will end up paying for it in any number of ways and we don't need them to consent to do it.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Mexico has no bargaining chip.

"Mexicans abroad sent home nearly $2.4 billion in transfers in November, 24.7% higher than a year earlier, marking their fastest pace of expansion since March 2006, according to Mexican central bank data on Monday."

Tax'em.

"The value of the remittances considerably exceeds that of Mexico's oil exports, Ramos noted."

"Mexico's government said in November that it is ready to lobby the U.S. Congress and use all legal means possible to stop Trump blocking remittances."

[​IMG]

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The only ones hurt by Mexico canceling the meeting are Mexico.

6. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Keep lube handy, its incoming!

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Mexican DON'T like Pena Nieto, hope they remove him by force.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I still can't believe he fell for Trump's trick.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2017 ---
    That's a good rule for anyone who follow politics.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Surely it's better to sit down and discuss it. You can't just force a nation to pay for something they haven't asked for. It's Trumps idea, let him pay for it.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

Remind me again how he's kicking ass? All he's done is create a wish list. If Congress funds his wishes, then maybe something will occur, if Congress doesn't then he'll just blame them for being unAmerican.

11. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Totally, and I don't agree with Trump getting on his high-horse about the matter, but I think he knew the Mexican President was going to cancel. In terms of forcing them, in a way we can. There are lots of areas where funding can be re-routed, shut off, etc. that in turn will be taken as payment.

12. Herdfan macrumors 6502

You owe me a new iMac. I just spit my drink all over mine. :)
    As far as I am concerned, Mexico has no right to question or complain about what we as a nation do to stop illegal immigration until our laws are more strict than theirs.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/3/mexicos-illegals-laws-tougher-than-arizonas/

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Congress is going to get nervous if they have to tell the American people that they will be paying 15 billion for a wall. You might see some pushback against Trump at some point. Especially if he starts cutting important programs in the process.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Given how much money our government wastes, I'm not sure anyone would really notice.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But trump would tell them. This gold plated wall cost billions. Only the best for me....my people.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Be patient.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

My bad. I've never experienced a President fulfilling his campaign promises before.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Or Mexico might turn to China. The only reason the US was able to win WWII is that the U.K. provided a close base to build up for the invasion. If Trump's trade war turns into a shooting war the last thing we want is to have our neighbors mad at us.

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

The import tax will hurt both Mexican and US economies. Trump is betting on it hurting Mexico more than it hurts the US... this is going to be another "Smoot-Hawley Act", but a much lighter, limited version.

In the end, Americans will pay more for the goods they get out of Mexico, the US will collect the tariff (the 'big 3' US auto companies aren't going to like that cut to the profits) and Mexico will look to export their goods to other markets.

20% tarriff might pay for the wall, but it's not going to do much about business decisions when the difference between labour costs are 725% more expensive (total compensation) in the US than Mexico.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Are they MexiCANS or MexiCANTS?

Mexico does owe us a solid! After all we do for them. lol

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

What other markets? For better or worse, the US is the premier market that most businesses essentially count on.

24. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

LOL. First gas prices, now this. Mexico is a hot mess.
    Indeed. Dude went right to work. Now if he can get congress off it's collective arse.

25. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

US is by far the premier market for Mexican exports (73% actually) it probably will be after the tariff too. I can see other South American countries looking to take up some of that slack, as well as China. There's also the possibility of tariff retaliation too (I wouldn't really bank on it, as it would hurt Mexican's more). Mexico's imports are 51% from the US, and I bet China would be willing to get more of that market too.

The end result is that yes, the US is going to hurt the Mexican economy by imposing the 20% tariff. However the 'damage' will be mitigated by several factors. Sure demand for Mexican exports will be less, but I don't foresee many factories moving back to the US, and the companies will pass on as much as the extra cost they can to consumers. So in a sense Americans will be paying for the wall with the still purchased goods coming from Mexico, and Mexicans will suffer a small downturn in the economy over week exports, which will cause a small decline in imports (from countries like the US), which will cause a smaller hit to the american workers.....

...the economy is like a pond full of onions, it has many layers and ripples. (ok bad analogy, but this is what you get for free) :p