Mexico detains 791 undocumented migrants, National Guard starts to patrol southern border

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-detains-nearly-800-undocumented-154041540.html
TAPACHULA, Mexico (Reuters) - Mexican officials detained nearly 800 undocumented migrants on Saturday, the government said, in one of the biggest swoops against illegal immigration in recent months, as members of the National Guard began patrolling the southern border.

Mexico's National Migration Institute (INM) said in a statement late on Saturday that 791 foreign nationals were found in four trucks stopped in the eastern state of Veracruz, confirming earlier reports about a mass detention.

The apprehension came as Mexico steps up efforts to reduce a surge of migrants toward the U.S. border under pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump, who vowed to hit Mexican goods with tariffs if Mexico does not do more to stem illegal immigration.

As part of those efforts, Mexico has pledged to deploy 6,000 National Guard members along its border with Guatemala.
all thanks to trump.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
Now I'd like to know how and why hundreds of people from Congo were sent to San Antonio.

They are starting fights downtown.

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
This whole thing reminds me of an elevator with a huge crowd of people outside. Other very rich and powerful people have hired people to repeatedly push way more people into the elevator than can safely fit at any one time. These powerful people have planned to do anything necessary to blame the owners of the elevator when disaster strikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkcerda

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Well, hallelujah! If only it was remotely useful. Maybe fix Domestic issues here in the US instead? Perhaps worry about guns being illegally funneled into Mexico for profit to the Cartels? Perhaps understand that in many instances the US citizens and Mexican citizens on the border are friends and collaborate. Perhaps wonder why the most desperate seeking a better life are not part of the American ethos anymore.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Well, hallelujah! If only it was remotely useful. Maybe fix Domestic issues here in the US instead? Perhaps worry about guns being illegally funneled into Mexico for profit to the Cartels? Perhaps understand that in many instances the US citizens and Mexican citizens on the border are friends and collaborate. Perhaps wonder why the most desperate seeking a better life are not part of the American ethos anymore.
CA has unexpected numbers of homeless, those coming here need to live somewhere, hell CA even gives them full benefits so keeping people from just coming here IS working on domestic issues......... would have been nice to prosecute Holger for the fast & furious mess.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
CA has unexpected numbers of homeless, those coming here need to live somewhere, hell CA even gives them full benefits so keeping people from just coming here IS working on domestic issues......... would have been nice to prosecute Holger for the fast & furious mess.
I would argue that it's just highlighting our failures. Have you looked at our Government lately? President/Congress etc? I am not a Libertarian, but we need to get our house in order. This has almost nothing to do with Mexicans/Hondurans etc. It has to do with us.

Reactions: jkcerda

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I would argue that it's just highlighting our failures. Have you looked at our Government lately? President/Congress etc? I am not a Libertarian, but we need to get our house in order. This has almost nothing to do with Mexicans/Hondurans etc. It has to do with us.
most of congress belongs in GITMO :eek:

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
most of congress belongs in GITMO :eek:
Honestly, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here - but solely Publicly-funded Elections (funded relating to position - Municipal/County/State/Federal). Make People make an honest argument to be in charge for a change.

Reactions: Huntn

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Honestly, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here - but solely Publicly-funded Elections (funded relating to position - Municipal/County/State/Federal). Make People make an honest argument to be in charge for a change.
I don't see that happening for a million reasons.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
If people from Central and South America were primarily using the US as little more than a bridge to Canada I’m curious how much we would consider it our responsibility to detain and care for them in the US to keep them from getting into Canada. Or do nothing and see it as primarily Canada’s problem and financial burden.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
It doesn't, but not for the reasons you necessarily expect.

Public funded elections (what we have) help keeping the parties themselves honest. But it doesn't help nor stop the "unnofficial" campaigning and funding that private action groups are legally allowed to.

For example in Canada right now, we aren't even in campaign season for the October Election. So none of the government partie can campaign yet nor collect / spend campaign finances

That hasn't stopped "Ontario Proud" rebranding as "Canada Proud" and running millions of dollars worth of Attack commercials against the Liberals. "Ontario Proud" is funded by < 15 companies in the Toronto Area. But have enough money themselves that they can actively campaign for the conservatives now. Because they are a free market group. None of the money or campaigning they're doing for Conservatives count towards conservative funding or campaigning. Even though there are strong ties to the Conservative party and those organizations. Heck, the list of those Organizations is even more suspicious, when of the 15 or so. many share the same postal code and address, but just have different company name on the donation.

The question is, how do you hold accountable the money that is spent outside of the campaign official money? Should Ontario Prouds campaigning on behalf of the Conserative party not count against the conservative parties campaign funding?

This would be the similar problem in the USA, but on a much grander and larger scale.

Why this is a problem as it puts the power of money into the political system. Those who can afford to unofficial campaign on behalf of a party can create an un-balanced perspective.
[doublepost=1560878719][/doublepost]
If people from Central and South America were primarily using the US as little more than a bridge to Canada I’m curious how much we would consider it our responsibility to detain and care for them in the US to keep them from getting into Canada. Or do nothing and see it as primarily Canada’s problem and financial burden.
already happened.

When Trump came in he cancelled the Refugee visas of Haitians who were displaced when their homes were destroyed by weather. They then made for the border of Canada.

We treated them just like all other refugees. We heard their cases. Put them in housing as humanely as possible. And have been working to clear the backlog of refugee claimants.

When we were faced with a influx, we didn't close our borders and scream the end of times. We honoured our international agreements and "tightened our belts" for a bit while we dealt with it.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
And outlawing PACS who undermine the idea of limiting money in campaigns.

Reactions: LordVic

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Mexico has been quietly detaining and deporting large numbers of people since 2014 under Vicente Fox's Frontera Sur program, which had major backing from the Obama administration, which sent DHS personnel and aircraft to the south to aid INM officials.

As this Guardian article from 2016 notes:

....The tide of people fleeing Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala – three of the five most dangerous countries in the world – continues apace despite beefed-up border control measures implemented after Barack Obama declared the 2014 surge in undocumented migrants a humanitarian crisis. Last year, Mexico deported 165,000 Central Americans, while the US expelled 75,000.
....The report comes after the US, for the first time, recognised that the surge in people currently fleeing Central America includes potential refugees, not just economic migrants. The Obama administration on Tuesday announced a new scheme whereby Costa Rica will offer temporary protection to 200 eligible Central American refugees at a time before they are settled in the US or another country.
The current scheme is for Mexico to make a few big busts and make sure that its gets coverage, and then use that to keep the White House from implementing the disastrous tariff.

Really, a review of the document held by Trump shows how vague the entire "secret" deal between the U.S. and Mexico really is.

It's a supplementary agreement that merely promises more talks between AMLO and the White House. And, the agreement made in June was really, as the New York Times noted, a complete rehash of talks that were completed under December by Nielsen before she was sacked.

And, by shifting the newly-formed National Guard to doing immigration enforcement, the country may actually become more dangerous, and migrants appear to be shifting back to old patterns of ducking enforcement officials by more dangerous smuggling routes like La Bestia.

As usual, Trump made a blustery move, backed down, and declared victory.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
And outlawing PACS who undermine the idea of limiting money in campaigns.
PACs and private campaigning directly undermine Democracy by putting the loudest voice in the hands of the richest people.

It's also should be no surprise that those richest people essentially pick and choose the people elected. It should therefore be even less of a surprise that those elected tend to poorly reflect the actual population as they will tend to represent those who have the money to put them in power in the first place.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
already happened.

When Trump came in he cancelled the Refugee visas of Haitians who were displaced when their homes were destroyed by weather. They then made for the border of Canada.

We treated them just like all other refugees. We heard their cases. Put them in housing as humanely as possible. And have been working to clear the backlog of refugee claimants.

When we were faced with a influx, we didn't close our borders and scream the end of times. We honoured our international agreements and "tightened our belts" for a bit while we dealt with it.
I appreciate the answer, but I wasn't asking what Canada would do in that scenario. I was asking what the US would do, like we are expecting Mexico to do the heavy lifting on what is a US immigration problem and/or demonizing them for not doing enough.

How much time, personnel, resources, and money would the US put into keeping immigrants out of Canada on a similar scale or would we largely just show them the door to Canada and label it Canada's problem?

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
791 detained is a small start... build the wall and they stop even entering Mexico.

And these African migrants who somehow found their way to Mexico... they'll stop that, when they realize it's Mexico they will be starting their new lives in.

Reactions: PVDHell

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
791 detained is a small start... build the wall and they stop even entering Mexico.

And these African migrants who somehow found their way to Mexico... they'll stop that, when they realize it's Mexico they will be starting their new lives in.
Unless you also put all Latin Americans on the no fly list you aren't going to stop the vast majority of illegals who are here that shouldn't be. They come here to visit or for temporary legal work and then don't leave.

Does anybody know if they know how to use boats? That could be another issue.