MI Asst. Attorney General Fired

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Nov 8, 2010.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

About damn time, but I can't believe it took this long.
    http://www.freep.com/article/201011...Shirvell-fired-for-attacks-on-gay-U-M-student

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I love it. It's the fault of the "liberal media". I thought conservatives were all about about personal responsibility?

Guess what Shirvell? It was you who got you fired! You're s frickin' nutcase!

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This.

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Ah, I see. I struggle to keep up with all the crap happening in your country.

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Well, we have considerably more idiots than yours, and we make a business out of it.

Don't feel bad. You've got your strengths too.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

8. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

9. leekohler, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I can't believe it took this long to fire him. That kind of behavior should have never been tolerated in the first place.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Agreed, it's about time, but it's not really surprising. Contrary to the spin Shirvell's lawyer is putting on it (and wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't), it can be pretty tough to get fired from a civil service job for personal viewpoints and activities conducted outside work. There are typically laws specifically protecting them. The fact this has reached the point Shirvell was fired instead shows just how extreme his behavior became and how much it disrupted his ability to do the job.

Denial: Screw up your life like a drug addict, without all the inconvenience of getting high first.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This might sound a little odd, but I feel a bit sorry for him.

He screwed up in a major way, is now notorious, thought he was doing something useful, got the national press on his back, the mockery of millions and lost his job... all because he couldn't control himself, and possibly, because of aspects of his own repressed sexuality, just went totally overboard, losing sight of what his office stood for.

Obviously, his own actions hurt others who I naturally side with, but I'm a little uneasy about gloating about his public downfall. Yes, he was a vindictive fool that's only made his life far more difficult going forward... but we all do stupid things at times.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't think we've heard the last of him. He came across as severely unbalanced to me. If I were that college kid, I would get that restraining order back on him. This man is not a healthy individual. My fear is that he will feel that he now has nothing to lose, and that is when people do really scary things.

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It could go either way. As they say "It's not until we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." Maybe he'll go off the deep end, and maybe he'll use this as an opportunity to come to terms with his sexual identity. Let's hope for the latter.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hope you're right, but that's not how these things usually go.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ahh...glad to hear Pee Wee Shirvell is gone. I needed something to restore my faith in people after the election last Tuesday.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Now if they'd only get rid of the MA and PA attorney generals.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Still, I do know hat BV is saying.I do hope this guy comes out. It's quite obvious he needs to. Another scary thought is that he could end up on Fox News as some sort of legal expert. This behavior could actually pay off for him. I hope not, but you never know. Fox loves crap like this.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Ooooh. That IS scary. Not to mention complete BS. LOL

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In what way? They could easily spin it as some free speech violation. And the person it's scary for is him. Either way, I do see this guy getting TV time.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

In what way is "he could end up on Fox News as some sort of legal expert" total BS? Every way. Is there some kind of precedent that you'd like to site as to why FNC would do this-- seriously.

I'm a little worried about you, Lee. Your posts as of late are shifting from rational thought to some type of conservative derangement syndrome.

The guy is a complete ass, he got fired for being an ass. end of story.

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Yeah, FOX News would never consider putting an insane and hyperdramatic person with emotional control problems on the air to exploit his hateful and ignorant viewpoints for ratings.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh please, as if Fox News isn't the definition of deranged. And as if conservatives haven't run deranged people as candidates- Sharron Angle, Christine O'Donnell, Sarah Palin... you think those people are the picture of mental health?

And while we're at it, Glenn Beck?

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL Glenn Beck right? In terms of being an ass, Andrew Shirvell is way out of his league. Good try though.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yup, "conservatives" all sit in dimly lit room somewhere deep in fox news headquarters and decide what nut-jobs to run as candidates.

Who the hell knows where they come from.