Mic to Alesis io26, nothing showing in GBand

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ladysultana, Mar 20, 2011.

1. ladysultana macrumors newbie

This is going to sound strange, but here is the setup and problem:

Using MacBookPro I7
    Software 10.6.6
    Alesis io26
    PC Firewire Interface Card
    All drivers installed

Getting a feed from the line mic to the Alesis, but when I try to record to GBand with all the audio settings correct, there is no recording volume showing in GB track. All system, GB and Alesis settings are set to "Alesis Firewire". Have tried every other possible option and still getting nothing. I can record with a guitar line in, but not with a microphone. Have used 4 different microphones, 6 different mic cables, and switched firewire cables (even though Alesis said not to). ANY HELP! I'm going crazy. It's Garage Band.

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Usually audio interfaces have the guitar/mic inputs as one stereo pair. This shows up in Garageband as either Stereo or Mono 1 and Mono 2, or more depending on how many audio inputs the interface has. Does anything change when you change the input on the audio track in GB?

3. ladysultana thread starter macrumors newbie

Alesis (GB and Logic)

The input does not matter. What I've discovered is that the hw interface also has a sw interface, and that sw interface is what shuts off logic and GB's recording level functionality. The sw interface muts be used, but I'm still getting low input levels.

New problem now: after recording a guitar part logic or GB won't play it back even though the recording is appearing in the track.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I must admit I don't know the software installed alongside the Alesis, so I can't help.

This could be a simple matter of the Alesis being also set as audio output but lacking speakers connected to it.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

This gets to the point of the problem with these forums. We can't see your computer and all you say is "not sound". So of course the simplest possable problem is "speakers not plugged in" or "is the power switch in the on position?" I hope none of that is the case buy who would know if the only thing to go on is "no sound".

The better way to debug this problem is to back up and ask basic questions that prove that large parts of your system must be working. SO I ask

Can you play iTunes music through those speakers? If you say yes then the problem is in Garage band and you need to tell it to use your speakers and no some other output. if iTunes fails to work the problem is the speakers, cables or the interface box.

The method is to some how cut the system in half and then figure out which half is not working. Repeat as required by cutting each half in half again and soon.