Michael Sam makes history: First openly gay player drafted in the NFL

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, May 10, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You know that video will make some people pretty uncomfortable. I think society has pretty much warmed up to gay marriage now, but open display of affection between two people of the same sex is still something most people aren't used to.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's about time they get used to it.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yep. Psychological barriers can't be broken unless someone starts pushing the current limits. ESPN airing this clip of 2 men kissing is a MAJOR turning point in our society. I hope people can appreciate how incredible this is.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I didn't even know his boyfriend was white. A gay interracial couple kissing on TV will really rile up the neanderthals.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah, sounds like a good time...

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Ahem.. Not to take anything away from Michael Sam, but Meet Scott Norton.

A year and a half ago. Also on ESPN.

BL.

7. malman89 macrumors 68000

/thread

Seriously.

8. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Man, reading those comments on YouTube. Sheesh

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Most are pretty positive.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree. I myself was uncomfortable watching that. I'm uncomfortable watching any male on male affection. But I don't judge, condemn, nor practice any prejudice toward them.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not to start a major argument, but do you have a son? If so, do you kiss him goodnight when you tuck him into bed?

If so, does that make you feel uncomfortable? Or is father-son affection different, despite it being male-male affection?

BL.

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's really all that matters. It's not your fault it makes you uncomfortable, you can't really control that. It only became something that people openly do recently, and it's not a norm you grew up with. This generation of kids probably won't even be phased by it.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Come on now. You know damn well what I mean.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I suspect some of the negative ones are just trolling. They're a bit too cliche.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I do. And that's my point. If it shouldn't matter as a father to his own son, it shouldn't matter from any male to any other male, because it is the same gender offering affection to the same gender. It doesn't matter.

BL.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It doesn't matter. But it doesn't mean I want to see that. There is plenty of things I don't like looking at. Like an obese women in a string bikini, or an old wrinkly straight couple making out. There is nothing wrong with personally finding something disgusting without judging or disrespecting others tastes and lifestyle.

17. bradl, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Fair enough. My point is that doing it in a father-son position is no different than partner to partner. It is the same type of affection (love) being shown to the same gender. And to be perfectly fine with one display while disgusted by the other doesn't make sense.

BL.

18. Technarchy, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If you don't like it, dare I say love it, and buy in all in, you're a homophobe...according to some at least...

As Marilyn Manson said, "You can't sedate all the things you hate". Though, for me, I tend to not lose sleep over what other adults are doing as long as it doesn't result in the civil rights of other people being diminished. Doesn't mean I agree or disagree.

19. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Who would that be?

I don't like ding dong or anything, but two guys showing affection? I don't see what the big deal is. It's not my cup of tea for sure.

I don't think if someone dislikes it, it makes them a homophobes. But when they go out and protest equal marriage rights and workplace protections in huge marches in the name of Jebus, those people are homophobes.

I always love the argument that some parents give " Oh what if my son or daughter sees two men holding hands or hugging each other! They might start thinking that kind of thing is ok! "

Well guess what, it is ok!

20. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

He will likely be the first openly gay player cut as well.

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Sour grapes?

22. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

Not at all, actually. He just went to a team that is already stacked on the D line. Unless he can make it on special teams he'll go to free agency.

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Most here in PRSI have no understanding of sports and probably don't fully understand what you're saying. It's great he was drafted and I wish this wasn't even news but more than likely will be let go with what the Rams already have as you already pointed out.

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Not to get too nit-picky, but I think there's a huge difference between father-son affection and romantic affection.

At least there should be...