Michael Smerconish leaves the Republican party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Smerconish may be wrong about the Dems overreaching and being unwilling to compromise, but the rest of his column is dead-on. This is something I don't think the tea party people (and the Democrats, to be fair) fully appreciate: that as they lurch further and further to the right, they are leaving a lot of people behind. I myself have said before that I've thought of leaving the Democratic party because it's moved too far to the right.

Anyway: anyone want to place a bet on who'll call Smerconish a RINO first? I say it'll be ItN. ;)

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I actually had to look up who this guy was, I don't fault him for leaving the Republican party, I am declaring as an independent next go around unless I see someone promising on the Republican side of the primaries (not likely). Even if there was someone with promise they would lose the primary.

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Oh joy in Heaven... the same Michael Smerconish, columnist for Huffington Post and Philly-based liberal Radio Host, and allegedly somewhat familiar with the acronym GOP, has a Wikipedia listing... A few choice bit quotes therefrom:

"On August 20, 2009, Smerconish became the first talk radio host to broadcast live from the White House, a show which included an interview with President Obama...."

"A simulcast of Smerconish's show aired on WPHT and MSNBC during the week of April 23-April 27, 2007.... In-studio guests included... Senator Barack Obama..."

"Smerconish endorsed Barack Obama for President on October 17, 2008."

"He is a regular contributor with MSNBC, and has appeared as a guest on NBC's Today Show, Larry King Live, The View, the Colbert Report and Real Time With Bill Maher..."

"Smerconish stated during his stint that he would stay on MSNBC "as long as they will have me."

4. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Congratulations! You win!

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So let's see if I've got this right -- Bayh is a true honest Democrat who had the character to turn on those crazy radicals taking over his party and tell it like it really is, and Smerconish is a turncoat who only ever had an alleged acquaintance with the principles of the GOP, who can be dismissed because he appeared on MSNBC.

That about sum it up?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I love how you pick your quotes and miss out other details like:

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its kind of appalling that even the left is now holding radio hosts to the same level as senators.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well it is sort of like shooting fish in a barrell....

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... Where did I say the a radio host was the same level as a senator? I was commenting on two people who stormed off in something of a huff over differences with their party. Both have a national profile. Doesn't mean they share the same DNA or hold the same job. Sheesh... You're getting desperate for something to criticize me for, aren't you?