Michael Steele: Gay marriage will hurt small business

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, May 16, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Now that fewer and fewer people are listening to republicans when they use religion to justify being against equal rights for gays, they've had to step it up a notch and now make the bogus claim that gay marriage will harm small business. Nevermind the Hollywood marriages that last a week, or the shotgun wedding that Bristol Palin and her baby's daddy almost had, or people like Rush Limbaugh who have been married multiple times, clogging up the justice system with divorce cases when time and money could be better spent bringing real criminals to justice, no, it's the gays who are going to destroy the economy by getting married.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090516/ap_on_bi_ge/us_steele_republicans_4

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Oh god no! It'd hurt even more than interracial marriage!

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Haha. How do they think this will appeal to younger voters?

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"We cant allow them to have equal rights! itll hurt business!"

Shows you really all the GOP cares about doesnt it?

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The arguments against gay marriage get stupider and stupider...

6. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Absolutely the economy will be devastated if gays get married.

Look here!

- The Impact of Extending Marriage to Same-Sex Couples on the California Budget. Professor Brad Sears, Executive Director, The Williams Institute, UCLA School of Law and Professor M.V. Lee Badgett, Professor of Economics, UMAss Amherst. June 2008.

MarketWatch

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gay-marriage-can-help-economy

7. macfan881 macrumors 68020

ill have to say 2009 has been a epic fail for the republican Party this is geting to funny between them and limbaugh and this crap

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So the Republican argument is...making money trumps doing the right thing???

Yeah, that's gonna win the hearts and souls of Americans.

Another great example of "family values", I guess.

9. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Although I dont believe that gay marriage should be allowed, I disagree with this article stating it will hurt the economy. If anything it would boost the economy as more people are getting married, buying things/services for their wedding which will help get the economy going.

I generally vote along the republican lines as that is how my beliefs fall along the same lines. I dont think gays are evil people, or will cause the end of the world. I simply find that it disobeys God and shouldnt be allowed. However, we dont live in a Theocracy(unfortunately, unless its Iran:) )

I wish the homosexual community would push more for a Civil Union for everyone for the state, and leave marriage for religious ceremony. The Civil Union would give all the benefits of a married couple(if you can call them benefits). It would just be a secular contract at that point. And then for those who are religious, they could have a marriage with their religious institution. Id have no problems with homosexuals then.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It'll help small business more than anything. Just ask people in Massachusetts.

Too late- it's already a reality in 5 states and that number is just going to get larger.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Ehhh I'd like to keep this thread about making fun of the Steele. We have enough threads arguing over gay marriage.

12. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

5 out of 50? And those 5 are some of the most liberal states in the union. Liberal, meaning more open minded to such things. It will be a battle in the Conservative states, one I dont think will be won so easily.

Push for Civil Unions in the Conservative states and you wont have a problem. Push for marriage and you will have an uphill battle.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What makes you think that your brand of Christianity owns the institution of marriage? :confused:

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No it won't be. We'll get all the "smart" states in the next ten years and then the federal government will come down on the south.

15. Journojulz macrumors 65816

Journojulz

When 'christianity' can sanction genocide of the americas as "manifest destiny' they can make up as many rules as they want.

That don't make it right, but don't make it not happen.

Jesus said loving your fellow man was gods highest purpose - 'but what he MEANT to say......'

The rest of the world has tended to look upon the US as an aberrant spin off of the christian church that seems to sanction judaic genital modification and the death penalty.

We look forward to civilisation (and spelling) dawning in the west.

16. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Wait, gay marriage is bad for small business because more people will be entitled to healthcare benefits? They are arguing that gay people shouldn't have the same level of access to healthcare as heterosexual married couples? Maybe I'm swayed by having the benefits of a nationalised health service, but surely healthcare is a basic human right, that you can't deny someone based on sexuality.

Christ, I know that all gays have the aids and that's expensive to treat, but they can't help being dirty heathens. And they all spend so much money on curtains and lamps that they're bound to put their share back into the economy. /sarcasm

17. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Iowa is not a liberal state and gay marriage is legal there, and California is a very liberal state and it's illegal there.

And your belief that gays shouldn't get married because it disobeys your god? Who says your god is right? And why should what your god thinks decide this country's laws? Fortunately, we don't live in a theocracy and your god or anyone else's god should not be the basis for our laws.

18. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

So basically, he is arguing against marriage itself. Be a good patriot and stay single, or else you might - gasp - qualify for benefits.

19. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

I guess you will be defiant till the end. When you see face to face your Creator, and He condemns you to eternal damnation you will be crying that He is Unjust and never revealed Himself to you. Thats ok though, its your choice. Just dont be blaming others for your choice.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, you've got it wrong.

Get married, even if you are Gay/Lesbian, and produce children to feed the "beast".

21. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I'll be looking forward to it :rolleyes:

No. It's OK if a small business pays out benefits to straight couples. I think it would be kinda funny if until gay marriage is legal, gays and lesbians all band together and marry each other just for the benefits, and to show the RNC that gay marriage won't run the economy into the ground.

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

your cute :)

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:D Not to mention easily lead, so I will. :p

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

When did god give you the power to damn people to hell?

What did Jesus say about judging people? I can't recall...

25. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

I guess you will be defiant till the end. When you see face to face your Creator*, and He condemns you to eternal damnation you will be crying that He is Unjust and never revealed Himself to you. Thats ok though, its your choice. Just dont be blaming others for your choice.

* Anubis