Michael Vick signs with Philadelphia Eagles

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chris Rogers, Aug 13, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. Chris Rogers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

3. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

McNabb isn't going anywhere. :p

I think I heard that Kolb, their backup, got injured, so chances are they signed him to back up Donovan. There is a good chance that they signed him to be wide receiver or kick returner as well. Vick really can do anything.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

McNabb is close to retirement. I wouldn't be surprised to see them use Vick extensively as the season progresses, even if McNabb stays healthy. Its too big of a possible wrinkle to be able to throw at defenses.

5. Chris Rogers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Vick won't be ready to play until at least late fall and McNabb is solid for a few more years

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Imagine McNabb, Westbrook and Vick in the backfield together.:eek: That could be nasty to defend.

Glad somebody gave Vick a chance.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That was my exact feeling. People forget Mr. Westbrook can also through the ball, although he is a tad short.

I'm an Eagles fan and happy. Sal Pal is reporting what a lot of Eagles fans have been fearing, which is that Kevin Kolb's injury is much more serious then originally thought.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Me too Tilpots. :) I mean sure, the dude did something bad, we get it. But frankly tons of people have done way worse and lived on in the NFL to tell about it. Heck, NFL, MLB, NHL, etc.

Edit: Andy Reid is on Sports Center talking about it. I like what he has to say about Vick.

9. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Yes dude served his time, paid his debt to society, he should play NFL ball. That is what he does. This is America.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

1.5 mill first year and 5 mill second

what a bargain

this guy is overflowing with talent

im quite surprised why teams were applying the barry bonds affect on him and not even considering him

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ Very true. If they can let Manny come to LA and stay in the MLB with his piss poor attitude then Vick should be able to play.

I mean really ... all the humane society crap is getting old. I don't agree with what he did but why aren't they protesting the football itself? That's made from animal skin ... no?

12. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Nobody's mentioned it...

So they're just going to ignore the fact that he'll be a role model to millions and he's been convicted of a deplorable and disgusting crime?

I mean, I know that the eagles have the right to employ him, and he has the right to be employed, but I don't want my kids idolizing him, then finding out about his sick social life and thinking that sort of thing is ok, or normal.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Tell your kids. You do not get many second chances in life, here is what you can do with your life.

Either:
    A. He will be a good role model, people will forget. You tell your kids he got a second chance did the right thing.
    B. He goes dogfighting again, you tell your kid what an idiot he is. And your kids won't care.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

With all due respect I don't condone his acts but tell me ... honestly, how many role models in the NFL, NBA, and MLB can you name? Now how many can you name that aren't suited.

To me, there are few role models. A few in Tennis and more in Golf because Golf is a gentleman's game.

Teach your kids to idolize people like you, teachers, your wife, friends you know personally. Let the guys in the NFL give us a good season and idolize someone who doesn't get hit for a living.

15. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I think who your kids idolize should be your responsibility. Too bad Vick didn't drive drunk and kill a man. Then he'd only be looking at about 30 days in jail and a year banishment from playing in the NFL.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

agreed

the NFL is entertainment

nobody should be idolizing any of them to be honest

he paid his debt (more severe than it should be imo when people like ray lewis can commit murder and no one blinks an eye)

17. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I just don't like the idea that there are kids out there that will revere him like a god for the rest of his career.
    Kids wear Nike because their TV says that Lebron James wears them too, kids drink gatorade because their TV says that Michael Jordan drinks it too, kids think making animals kill each other is a great time because their TV says that Vick thinks so too. This may be more of a stretch, but it's still positive association. Same reason you worry about your girls watching Paris Hilton's tv show. You know what she likes to do.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then parent your kids! Really! Teach them about right and wrong and forgiveness.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You still have a team?
    very interesting. :p

20. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Well, "team" might be stretching it but, there still are big guys running around in purple jerseys, does that count? :eek:

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

22. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Definately good points, but if you've taken psychology classes, you know that parenting is a large part, but definately not all of what gives a kid their values.

Oh, and I haven't forgiven Michael Vick.

23. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

The season hasn't started yet. Favre may change his mind still.