Michelle Carter found guilty in texting suicide trial

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 16, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

wonder how many years she will get?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/judge-ann...cide-case-144606716--abc-news-topstories.html

2. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that's why it's manslaughter & not murder :p

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

:rolleyes:......:D

She's an evil person no doubt. I don't see words leading to manslaughter though.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

well, aren't most women evil by default? :p
    you are correct, SHE did not kill him, perhaps a fitting charge would be criminal negligence instead of manslaughter?

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I agree that her reckless behavior contributed to some degree to his death. Not entirely sure how I feel about it but I cay say I agree with her sentence more than I disagree. She's an evil turd that sure doesn't deserve to get off on this IMO.

6. 0007776 Suspended

I'm hoping she will get the treatment she desperately needs so when she gets out she can become a productive member of society. Unfortunately she probably will get no treatment and instead learn how to be a criminal from the other people in there.

7. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

You must not remember being a teen. The threshold point for killing yourself is a lot lower.

Plus with drug laws laxing they need to find a new demographic to fill those for profit prison beds. I think they just found it.

8. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Quite frankly I don't know what to make of this. Guilty yes, but I don't think she's evil by any measure.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Part of her sentence is living with the knowledge that she contributed to someone taking their life. And perhaps she's too young or in the moment to realize that power or have guilt over it - but it will catch up with her.

10. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Though she was 17 at the time of the texting, she was still making an adult decision to push the man over the edges.
    As concerned citizens we need to make sure that even at that age, she or anyone else is held responsible for their adult decisions. I do agree that part of her sentence will be that she will have to live with those decisions for the rest of her life. I also do not feel that she was an inherently an evil person.
    So the question arises, 10 years in the slammer? That's pretty harsh for sure. Perhaps a better idea would be 10 years probation and a requirement to help others with mental issues, such as the boys/girls club of America.

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The jury did.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Which is why I would request a bench trial.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am no expert on the Criminal Justice system - but an accessory charge seems more appropriate imo. As far as punishment, I agree with Foggydog - a long probation with hefty community service.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Have you actually read the entire text-message conversation? It's here: http://deadstate.org/here-are-the-d...r-pressuring-her-boyfriend-to-commit-suicide/

CONRAD ROY: How was your day?
    MICHELLE CARTER: When are you doing it?
    CONRAD: Since you don’t get your snapchat anymore, I sent them to you.
    CARTER: (Smiley face) My day was okay. How was yours?
    CONRAD: Good.
    CARTER: Really?
    CONRAD: Yes.
    CARTER: That’s great. What did you do?
    CONRAD: Ended up going to work for a little bit and then just looked stuff up.
    CARTER: When are you gonna do it? Stop ignoring the question

CARTER: You’re so hesitant because you keeping over thinking it and keep pushing it off. You just need to do it, Conrad. The more you push it off, the more it will eat at you. You’re ready and prepared. All you have to do is tum the generator on and you will be free and happy. No more pushing it off. No more waiting.
    CONRAD: You’re right.
    CARTER: If you want it as bad as you say you do it’s time to do it today.
    CONRAD: Yup. No more waiting.
    CARTER: Okay. I’m serious. Like you can’t even wait ’till tonight. You have to do it when you get back from your walk.
    CONRAD: Thank you.
    CARTER: For what?
    CONRAD: Still being here.
    CARTER: I would never leave you. You’re the love of my life, my boyfriend. You are my heart. I’d never leave you.
    CONRAD: Aw.
    CARTER: I love you.
    CONRAD: Love you, too.
    CARTER: When will you be back from your walk?
    CONRAD: Like, five minutes.
    CARTER: Okay. So you gonna do it?

And those are just text conversations. There is also testimony showing he decided to not kill himself halfway through, but she talked him back into it then and there.

In my opinion, this is worse than calling out "fire" in a crowded theater. It's like if someone is bleeding and needs help, and you hand them poison to put on the wound, but tell them its antibiotic ointment. Except in this case, the damage isn't physical but psychological.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This guy was obviously ****ed up in the head, and so is she.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Cold and callous? Yes. Murderer? No.

17. 0007776 Suspended

The charge was manslaughter, not murder.

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Nobody said it's murder. It's involuntary manslaughter.

Manslaughter is the killing of one human being by another that is not premeditated. In Massachusetts, involuntary manslaughter is an unlawful killing that was unintentionally caused as the result of the defendants' wanton or reckless conduct. Unintentionally means the defendant did intend to commit the act that ultimately caused the death of the victim, but the defendant did not intend to actually cause the death itself.

Seems to describe what she did.

With this conviction, you better believe the guy's family is going to bring a civil case for wrongful death too.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It was a bench trial, no jury was involved.

20. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

This and the (unrelated but concurrent) Otto Warmbier stories are absolutely heartbreaking.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Ouch.:(

22. HEK Suspended

HEK

Smart judge. Followed the law, she is definitely guilty of involuntary manslaughter. Will be curious what he sentences her to.

With friends and lovers like that who needs enemies. Too bad the guy didn't have the cahonjes to go over her house, beat her face into a bloody pulp and then tell her how much he loves her. Sure he would have faced battery charges but still be alive, and mentally better.

23. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Doubt she has money.

24. HEK Suspended

HEK

The father and mother sitting there listening to this. Could read father's thoughts as he looked at the girl thinking of ways to end her.