Michelle Obama presenting Oscar Best Picture Award

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Feb 24, 2013.

1. PracticalMac, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Let the political firestorm begin!!
    (political messages were easy to find)

(BTW, she looked fabulous, and one of the service women (immediate left, cadet?) was eying her big time. Love struck? :p )

(PS, her appearance by by satellite. Should have noted that when posted).

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Would have been a bit awkward had Zero Dark Thirty won.

:D

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Inb4ConsStartNitPickingRandomThingsLikeHowSheDresses.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Even as a liberal I found it terribly gratuitous.

5. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Unnecessary and I'm not one of those you know ... Why is the President taking AF1 to vacation in Florida, Our tax dollars Mr President, Yeah everything our tax dollars, no one ever complained when Bush took so many vacations, Anyway I find no justification for those ridiculous comments, there can only be one reason HATE......., but Back to the Point this Oscar Appearance was so unnecessary

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Like the rest of the Oscars? The entire night is one giant Hollywood circle jerk.

7. citizenzen, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Most years I don't watch it (or much of it). This year was different and I saw quite a bit of it ... possibly out of curiosity to see how Seth McFarlane would do.

Talk about gratuitous navel gazing, that segment with William Shatner at the beginning was jaw dropping.

So yeah. The entire night is a circle jerk. But that's why I would rather the First Lady step in and get her hands dirty.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

While I don't watch the Oscars, I thought this was great, if only for the right wing reactions on Twitter. Faux rage makes me laugh.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If this is worth complaining about, Obama must not be doing too shabby otherwise....

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Having not watched the Oscars, at first I thought all of the outrage was from the travel costs associated with the first lady going to Hollywood, which, with the sequester and spending cuts is almost a valid point. Then I found out that she appeared via satellite feed from the White House. So once again, the righties are outraged just to be outraged at the black family in the White House.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

All of the award shows are like this which is why I never watch any of them or click on any article about them.

12. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I have to agree with you on this. (I know a first right? :)). Not sure about right wing reactions, but this conservative has no issue with this at all. Would the right have had an issue is Laura Bush had done this? Probably not.

13. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

So the (mac)rumor Ted was talking about on stage was true! :eek:

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No different than other industries that hold annual circle jerks.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

We didn't need a five minute speech about the films before the envelope was opened. She delivered her lines well, but the whole thing was a no.

16. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Exactly. If you don't like the Oscars, turn them off. They're not required viewing. They are only marginally meant for the public. They're primarily meant for Hollywood.

----------

Are you saying it was a TED talk?

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It was a buzzkill.

And I had so little of a buzz to begin with.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I didn't have a problem with it, but I don't know what it really added to the show other than another 5 minutes.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Maybe it was payback for all those hollywood contributions.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Oscar-related question ...

I watched a good portion of it last night and saw a number of singing performances. I could not detect the usual signs of lip syncing, yet every one of the performers hit every note perfectly.

Even with professional singers this is virtually impossible, and even more unlikely when a number of the performers are known more for their acting than their singing.

My theory is that the vocals are processed live in some way that seamlessly fixes flat or sharp tones to hit the right note more precisely.

Does anybody know about this? Or am I missing something obvious?

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

A few things to consider: They were performing indoors in a (presumably) comfortable and climate-controlled environment, unlike Beyonce and friends trying to perform outdoors in the freezing cold outside on Inauguration Day. They were also, for the most part, standing still and singing their song(s), unlike some live performances where the singer's also trying to pull off some elaborate dance number while singing. So it's not too hard for me to believe that a lot of the Oscar night singing was done without "enhancement".

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have little doubt that certain segments are "sweetened". I'm thinking particularly about the "When Tomorrow Comes" Lés Miz performance. I'm sure the chorus was filled in. Or perhaps they hid the 100 singers offstage or in another building as they did the orchestra.

But I'm speaking specifically about the solo performances. While I understand what you're saying about the conditions, I still can't buy that every note that I heard was "on". Live performer usually are off a bit here and there.

It leads me to believe that technology is getting better at fixing notes that are a little sharp or flat without sounding artificial or autotuned.

I wish I could believe that everybody just had a really superb performance. But I still suspect that something else was contributing to it.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Dolby owns the naming rights now and they have put in state of the art sound equipment in the theater. Most likely that place has the best sound system in the world.

24. cuestakid macrumors 68000