Michigan mayor not liking "queer" marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

From the article:
    "Janice Daniels, the new mayor of Troy, Michigan, is feeling the heat for a recently-uncovered Facebook status update she wrote back in June after marriage equality was passed in New York.

"DanielsSaid Daniels' update: "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there.""

Shoot, Troy residents must be so proud. Surprised this didn't hit the net until recently (unless I missed it and then egg meet face!).

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/12/mi...queers-can-marry-in-new-york-or-anywhere.html

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I heard about it yesterday or maybe Monday. Sigh. I didn't even know Troy had a mayor when I lived there. And, ahhh, Facebook, making grown people behave like 12 year old since ... when did Facebook start, again? :rolleyes:

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I would be surprised if Troy residents gave a crap.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They probably haven't been paying attention. I would say you're most likely right. Michigan is such an anti-gay rights state.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Tru dat.
    One person's slur is another person's campaign slogan.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- and judging form the comments section on mlive.com, she'll get plenty of support.

7. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Wow, shocker... Michigan has bad politicians...

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's been going straight down the toilet for a long time now. It looks to be a continuing trend. It's too bad. I love Detroit.

9. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

What a kawinky dink... I live in Metro Detroit and I love Chi-Town. Can't beat those smoothies in China Town!

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Detroit has a killer music scene.

11. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

That's true. However, I've never been to a concert. I grew up in Vegas and moved here in 2004. Two perfectly great places for concerts up the wazoo and I've never been lol.

I love music, but I've never been one of those types that constantly listens to it. I like all types of music when I do listen though. I have a love of good hip hop (not that lil wayne stuff). I actually jot down verses for fun. A lyricist by hobby haha.

Even when I snowboard, I don't listen to music. The sound of the snow under my board is enough music for me.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're a hip hop fan and you've never been to a show in Detroit? For shame! :)

13. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

LoL... I value my life. That's a concert I'm least likely to go to haha.

Just kidding, I couldn't resist. I know, I know. Really though, I'm just as happy listening digitally. Just one of those things. I'm not into watching sports either so I'm uninterested in going to those events.

I would like to see a snowboarding event. I'd also love to go to an Atheist convention if I ever get the time.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Atheist convention? I didn't even know there was such a thing.

15. cshearer macrumors regular

ReasonRally - DC

^I'm there.

16. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I was in Detroit on a business trip in the mid to late 70's. I don't know if it had a renaissance in the intervening years between then and know, and then started downhill again, but... when I checked in to the hotel (pretty nice hotel... the client was paying) the desk clerk said to me "By the way, don't go out at night".

Not quite a ringing endorsement of the city.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They still say that- always have. The police don't even go out at night. That's why it's so much fun. :) I loved it in the 80's.

18. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

They seem quite educational. That's why it draws me. Also, while I run into a lot of Atheists on the Net, I rarely run into them in life. Would be nice to spend an evening amongst fellow freethinkers.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Gay Family Confront Homophobic Troy Mayor

Well, this was a very nice response.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/12/12/WATCH_Gay_Family_Confront_Homophobic_Troy_Mayor/

Watch the video. I can't think of a better thing to do.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hoping no one missed this. It's great, especially for the people who think this kind of thing is an ambush.

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Loved it. :)
    A very decent way to reply to the mayor's trash. But I would have loved to have heard the mayor's response (if any) and seen her face during this great speech.

Personally I think hell would probably freeze over before we're going to see Janice Daniels at the head of a Gay Pride parade…

22. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

That was very civil, especially when you think about the fact that the person she talks to wants to diminish her value as a human being (yes, not granting people basic rights is saying that they are of less value).

23. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1